In 2008 I will...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by SteveZ, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Arex

Arex New Member

In 2008 I will :
    • Work on my Tips & Tricks Service
    • Double my income, I hope!
    • Continue living healthy.. I used to be a smoker! :)
    • Learn a lot more about programming

2. jankoM

Indie Author

I have no idea for a whole year ... for next 2 months my plans are:

- negotiate with my biggest web-dev customer that I will need more time per week this year (DONE)
    - bring QUBIDRAW to level 3 (10 activities in flash, improved visuals, more functional interface and whole system, works flawlesly also in IE)
    - make NPCSL (simple DSL for making NPCs talk)
    - bring waterisk game to next level too (rewrite in LWJGL, more elements, bigger world, NPCs)
    - submit 2 games that are finished / almost finished to flash portals
    - bring Programming-for-kids to chapter 10
    - bring Otroski.net to next level
    - start (finish starting) computer language for game-dev shootout website :) because I am sort of a language nut

.. I am not sure I won't be doing this whole year :eek:

#42 jankoM, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  3. Fry Crayola

Original Member

In 2008...

1. Finish my game. I've got the ability, I've got much of the hard work done, I just need the determination.

2. Get the whole online aspect sorted (i.e the site and distribution, not an online game)

3. Get my own place. I need the freedom to work.

4. Start writing a novel.

Ok, that last one's not games related at all, but it's part of this whole thing. I've spent years thinking about doing things and how cool it would be. Enough of that. Everything on this list now is about doing them, not thinking about them. Who cares if they end up tattier than a drunken tramp's coat? They'll be done, and I'll be happy.

4. Spaceman Spiff

Original Member

I just realized I needed to add a resolution...

n+1. In 2008, I will not play Peggle in order to avoid doing more difficult things.

5. cartoon_baboon

cartoon_baboon New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here (just out of my forced 48 h. lurker period:) ). I've gotta say this forum seems like it's going to be great source of information for me.

Anyhow here's my list for 2008 (hopefully writing this down will get me working ^^)

1. Develop and publish my first commercial game
    2. Work on my second on - somewhat larger - game on the sideline
    3. Increase my skills
    4. Pass first year of college
    5. finish my new website
    6. And get some more interesting freelance jobs

Now I'd better get working...

cartoon_baboon

#45 cartoon_baboon, Jan 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  6. vjvj

Indie Author

1. Ship my next product in Q1.
    2. Have something, ANYTHING for IGF.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

2008 will be THE year for me:

Resolutions:

1. Meet my new born child in early august (or late july, if the kid is in a hurry)
    2. End the layout for my web site
    3. Finish my first commercial game (in late february)
    4. Get started on the platform game that made me join this community
    5. Win the EuroMillions :D

8. Sectarian

Sectarian New Member

This year I will;

1. Add the finishing touches to my new browser based game.

2. Compile my gamers mailing list introducing it to the general gaming communities.

3. Include a Vbulletin forum for the game.

4. Give my game a unique name.

And thankyou all for the most interesting information in casual games and other good tidbits. I have learned a great deal from indie-gamer and will continue to absorb more. :)

9. lakibuk

Indie Author

*Bump*
    Curious how your goals worked out.

10. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Damn. I wimped out again. I still haven't done it. And now I've started a different one.
    Times change though.

11. papillon

Indie Author

1. 2 out of 3.

2. Have been working on it, although delayed by 1 (and that other game that got written in 2008)

3. Have actually made some progress on that although my lawyer simply gave up and quit having done, as far as we could tell, nothing for the money at all. We probably need a new one, but it doesn't help that our legal situation is just plain stupid, and the government is intentionally lying to us to get money out of us...

12. vjvj

Indie Author

I failed!

But #1 would have happened if our first-pass at art had worked out, so I don't feel too bad...

13. SteveZ

Indie Author

In 2007 I was able to only develop and release one title. In 2008, with essentially the same team, we became more efficient and understood our roles better and technically completed 3 titles (One game was canned mid development and quickly replaced by another one, now more than halfway done)

Parallel development works, breaking down the game cycles is almost like the washer-dryer analogy. I don't think it deters the polish of the game as well, speaking from a personal example, FR2: Moonlight Sonatas is a better game and sells substantially better than FR1:Mayan Princess.