In 2007 I will....

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by SteveZ, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MiceHead

Original Member

Hmm.
    11. Time machine.​

2. Agent 4125

Indie Author

A year is too long to plan for. But in the next 4 months I will:

That's it. :cool:

3. Lumesoft

Lumesoft New Member

Here are some Lumesoft goals for 2007:

1. Launch new screensaver portal.
    2. Release 4 new Living Desktops.
    3. Double my profit from Living Desktops.
    4. Release my first game.
    5. Continue full-time with supplemental contracting.

Happy New Year and God Bless!

4. Sillysoft

Indie Author

My goals for 2007:

- Hire some full-time employees.
    - Release a new game that isn't in the Lux series.

5. JoshuaSmyth

Original Member

Goals

In 2007 I will...

(Roughly in order of importance)
    1. Release a freeware mini RPG - About 2-4 hours of gameplay
    2. Find funding for bigger game to start development on in 2008
    3. Write new blog post every 3-4 days
    4. Maintain a B+ average at uni

#25 JoshuaSmyth, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  6. Garthy

Indie Author

By the end of 2007, I shall:

1. Extract each of the five games from E.V.E. Paradox, clean them up, and release them as individual games and demos through the year.
    2. Produce a playable beta of my current project and get people playing.
    3. Make some cash on the side so that I can:
    a) Chip into my existing debt a little bit.
    b) Find and pay a decent artist/graphic designer to produce some decent artwork for my games.

7. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

micehead... do you REALLY want to compete with those FPS guys?

I mean, I love FPS's, but seriously, it's the genre that most scares me because youre directly going for the type of bunny hopping madman that would rather warez a game than buy it.

However, I like the idea of using demoscene styling in it (I'm from the era when the demoscene started taking off).

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I already posted this over on blitzbasic.com but not many people seemed keen on listing theirs. I also listed my 2006 achievements and mistakes (to learn from) Anyway:

1) Continued improvement in my self-realisation studies.
    2) Turn my self-realisation co-venture into a huge success.
    3) Spend more time relaxing, doing my hobbies (reading/music/games) and with my family.
    4) Make some top 10 portal games that make lots of money so that I can continue in the same career.
    5) Make some games that I *really* want to make (platformers/shooters etc), even if it's just for fun.
    6) Become Rich (I'm already happy so I don't need to worry about that one).

Good luck to all of in 2007, I hope that you move closer to, or achieve, your dreams!

9. MiceHead

Original Member

Yeah, there are a few really good reasons why FPSes are a tricky choice for a small studio. However, my thoughts are like this:
    • Our previous FPS has brought in (nearly :) enough to justify its development. (I think that writing for Palm OS during the early '00s was like printing money; writing for Windows during the mid '00s seems to be like pulling teeth.)
    • I think there's an unfilled niche for an "intelligent," open-ended shooter. (Deus Ex and System Shock alluded to this, but I think we can go for a more interesting complexity. Will BioShock already fill this role in 2007?)
    • The larger studios are all focused on photorealism. 2006/2007 also seems to be the era of gritty realism. If we went in the opposite direction (e.g., surrealism, as the small demoscene teams do), even a small studio such as ours might be able to wow audiences.
    • Our ultimate goal will be to do a conversion to XBLA, making piracy less(?) of an issue.
    I dunno. Foolhardy, maybe? What else am I missing?

10. gosub

Original Member

Finish and release Zenix3d

-Jeremy

11. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Well, my goal are really ambitious :cool:
    • release Runes of Avalon in January
    • release pony-sim game in March
    • release Alice in Wonderland (codename) in July
    • release casual strategy game by December
    • make direct sales at least 10x bigger than their now :D

That's a shortened version, read more if you like to on my blog.

all the best in New Year
    Roman

12. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

2007:

- Get the compulsory Swedish classes done (in order to graduate)
    - Get my banchelor's thesis done (in order to graduate)
    - Get at least one of my long-term projects done (in order to have time for new ones =)
    - Be alive even after the above

13. sound app

Indie Author

my plans for 2007 are:

*have a compilation of my work as the weathermen released. It's planned to be out early-march on PIAS records.
    On the "pop" side, I have two more side projects, Ghost & Writer and Jules et Jim, with english singer Julianne Regan, so there's lots of work to be done there too.

*I'm working on MMO RPG which name is still under NDA and it should be out mid-2007 :cool:

*have a go at a AAA game's soundtrack. Problem isn't composing it at all, problem is to get the foot in the door :) :p

*hopefully meeting new exciting people and embarking on new exciting projects

*get more funtime on my motorbike :)

14. Christian

Original Member

Ahhhh, here are my goals:

* Get my first commercial game for sale on my site
    * Make 1000USD in the first month
    * Get better at art
    * Start composing music
    * Get better at game design
    * Quit my job and have a good time :)

15. arcadetown

Unlike prior years this year is actually pretty hard to determine solid and tough yet obtainable goals, anyhow here we go...

- Atleast a 2x sales increase.
    - Write a $10k+ royalty check to 3+ different developers in a single month.
    - Build up a third < 10k alexa ranked site.
    - Let go of more tasks that should let go of such as web programming.
    - Learn how to golf well enough to play this course that taunts me from my own back yard.

16. jmc

jmc
    Original Member

well getting 10k on alexa isn't hard, a recent study showed that with 200 computers all on a different IP address with the alexa bar installed browsing your site every day reaches an alexa rank < 5000. Alexa is totally unreliable and easily tricked.
    Releasing 1 unique flash game gets you in the top 20 000 in 2 weeks also. ( very bad quality traffic ,but good for alexa tricking :) )

Jmc.

17. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

In 2007 I will:

-Work really hard.
    -Ban people who use alter-egos to troll Indiegamer.
    -Ship 2 titles

18. Bad Sector

Original Member

Here is mine...
    - Quit job
    - Make sure i won't starve :p.
    - Work on my FPS game
    - Hopefully, finish that FPS game... (at 3rd year, ditched most previous work in March 2006, experimented with various stuff since then, started all over again a little before the end of the year... so this goal probably isn't going to happen).
    - Work on Nikwi 2 using my existing Nikwi engine (which in turn uses some parts from the Undead Engine -not the renderer, of course :p- so improving the one, improves the other) in order to make some income... (again this is a little improbable, given that the first Nikwi game made enough to buy nothing).
    - Work a bit as a freelance web site designer and programmer. This will make most of my income if i quit my job... :p.

At the end of 2007 i hope to move to UK, although i'll need to have a lot of money to do that.

19. arcadetown

I second that, which would include their real ID's also! Some people spend far too much time and effort creating negative energy around themselves. Try doing something positive so you get 3x that positive back. Simple Karma.

btw - Flash games are much like try/buy games, only a few hit the top ranks. Even more so since there's simply a huge over abundance. So the ones that hit an uber popular nerve and the top rankings deserve the results they get. Our The Black Knight and Midnight Strike barely dented our traffic and rankings. Anyhow the site I have in mind won't even feature freebie Flash games and only the best selling try/buy games so blah.

20. Sharpfish

Original Member

Now that one WOULD be worth a name and shame (at least we would know who we are dealing with then).