Improving the shareware model

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Nexic, Jan 6, 2005.

1. yanuart

Original Member

well i know this may a little off topic but it's just that I take a different approach making a living as an indie.
    The biggest hurdle for shareware business is how to make people download your games at the first place, the rest is just depend on how good your games are, so instead of doing shareware business, I take a different course, I push all of my efforts to make webgames portal with my original games that way when people like my games then I'll start making shareware versions of my games.
    So, that's my big scheme for me.. I actually don't know if it's going to work but so far it has been promising.

#61 yanuart, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  2. RedKnight

Original Member

Please don't spoiled the people with free games!!
    Like if there's not enought free games/warez/emulators/roms on the Internet,
    or how your free Indie game can compete with a free AAA (EA :D )games that's floating on the net.

I believe in 100% that it won't work.
    well is like how Mike Wiering said about Charlie the Duck.
    Many people are going to be disappointed if they heard your second game
    is going to cost something.

3. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I disagree. Maybe its true for young kids, but A games price has very little to do with whether or not I'll try it. The screenshots, name and description make a hundred times more difference to me. I value my time more than the saving of $20. Any game I'd play for a whole evening is worth $20 to me.

4. princec

Indie Author

I've had a few people say "pff, $20 for that, I could get <insert bargain bin AAA title> for less in Dixons". Seems that some people are clearly turned off by price, but the trouble is, if you lower it, your profits are well and truly buggered.

Cas :)

5. princec

Indie Author

We weren't taken seriously by the rags. Flux got a quarter page review in a new "indie" section. Now there's an attitude that has to change IMHO.

6. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

I've also had a few people say "I wouldn't buy your game for what your charging for it," and then I asked them "What would you pay for it?" The answer is almost always sheepish - "I wouldn't buy your game at any price," and they say stuff like "I only like MMORPG's", or "I'll only buy games with a multiplayer component." I think most people that say they wouldn't buy your game at whatever price you're charging for it just wouldn't buy your game period. They just use the price as an excuse.

7. princec

Indie Author

Good point.

8. Sybixsus

Original Member

Well the rags are gonna give people what they want, according to the market. I know it's chicken and egg, in that - with no publicity - you're never going to be able to compete with the HL2's and the Doom 3's, but it's those 8-page HL2 previews that sell. Are casual gamers even buying them? I'd guess they're probably not, so while you could reasonably expect a shedload of traffic from a review, it's unlikely to be the most valuable traffic.

I've been quite impressed with how interested the mainstream mags are in Indie games. I saw LoveChess had a tiny little piece in Edge a few months back, PC Zone has the regular Indie column ( the one you're referring to? ) and Anime Bowling Babes had a 1/2 page preview in among the commercial games in PC Action a few months ago ( which came as something of a surprise since I didn't contact them and it hasn't even been released yet. )

I think that's pretty good considering the numbers game between commercial and indie.

9. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Used to. Future publishing has bought PC Zone now, sacked the journalist responsible for Indie Zone and scrapped the column.

10. Carrot

Indie Author

yeah, we got mentioned in PCZone (UK) this month with Plummit .
    It has definitely made a big difference to the number of visitors and downloads/buys. Getting on the coverdisk helped too...

BTW, where you joking Antony?

11. Sybixsus

Original Member

No kidding? Wow, that's a shame. While I have zero sympathy for the journalist responsible ( if it's who I think it was ) after the Train Tracking debacle, he was one of the few interesting journalists left around, and it was nice to see Indie games getting a look in occasionally.

12. Ricardo C

Original Member

Good idea, and might work very well for a shooter.

Horrible idea. Pay-per-play? Not even for the most eagerly-awaited, mega-million dollar sequel to the most utterly proven monster hit in the history of videogaming.

13. Nexic

Indie Author

No no no **not** pay per play.

Before you start a game you can choose how many credits you want, in the free version you can only choose 1 credit. If you pay $20 you can choose up to 10. So once you have payed your $20 you can play as much as you like, with 10 credits.

14. Illusion Games

Original Member

Rather than give away your game as freeware, why not add an incentive to the purchase screen that allows the customer a chance to "spin the wheel" (or something similar) which would result in that customers having a chance to win the game for free, get a dollar amount off of the final price, get free next day shipping, get another title FREE, etc...?

The lure of getting something for nothing would be there and you could end up with additional sales just because people like a chance to get something free. :cool:

15. princec

Indie Author

Puppytron is going to be "nagware" soon. After a randomly configured number of games / time played, it's going to bung up a nag screen when you try to play it, and it's going to cushion the blow by asking you to "donate" $4.95 to Puppygames.

16. Hamumu

Indie Author

I like the Spin The Wheel idea. Psychologists will tell you, people really respond to a random reward schedule! And who doesn't like gambling?

17. Sybixsus

Original Member

Mmm, really interesting idea. The only problem I can see is that unless it's completely manually operated it's open to someone finding a security hole and posting it online.

18. papillon

Indie Author

I know at *some* point there was a guy who ran a cgi-script archive. If you wanted to get to use his scripts, you had to pay for access. Or you could subscribe to the newsletter and get a free spin on the slot-machine for a chance to win access.

Don't know what sort of security it might have had to filter out endless attempts from free email addresses and domain-name owners, though.

19. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

...muslims!

20. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah just like christians don't have sex outside of marriage or take the name of god in vain.