I'm out...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Stefan Maton, Nov 30, 2004.

1. BigZaphod

Original Member

Not all blogs or bloggers are like that. Mine surely had a lot of angst over time (girls are so confusing...), but no commenting section or anything. It mostly kept friends up to date on the goings on in my life. It wasn't meant for strangers. Still, it got me fired for expressing what many people express daily in offices everywhere.

Of course, ever since I met my fiancee, I haven't blogged much at all (my blog is now private with a password and yes she has read just about everything there and still loves me :D). Odd how that works. :)

2. monco

Original Member

BigZ: If I were you, I'd go back and grease every last one of them just for thinking that about you...

3. BigZaphod

Original Member

Hee hee... That's a great idea! Er.. wait.. then that would prove them right. Dammit! I can't win. :p

4. merovingian

Original Member

Who can figure out chicks? Nothing wrong with writing about that one...

I'm talking about all those sorts out there writing their daily "woe is me I'm so misunderstood" rants. That's a really important phase for say, a 14 year-old, but it gets old by 20 or so, and it's just pathetic and sad IMO to see so many 30somethings still doing it. In constrast, I love the blogs of Steve Pavlina, Paul Allen, and their ilk. Lots of great stuff there!

BTW if you were blogging from work, or you discussed your employer, I can't say I feel sorry for you. Otherwise, I'd say you ought to grease 'em too.

5. BigZaphod

Original Member

I admit to doing it from work a few times. :eek: That might be how they found it (proxy logs maybe). I remember asking and they refused to say. I was getting bad vibes there well before all this, though. My best friend got me hired on there and about a month or two before they fired me they let him go with no reason given. *shurgs* The company was/is in trouble, I think, anyway. In the 4-5 months prior to my letting go, one of their most senior and perhaps most talented developers left. A product engineer who had also been a co-founder was ousted. Many people in sales were leaving. Something was up. Of course the instant they fired my friend (as in, the next week), they hired one of their buddy's from one of the other local software shops to replace my friend. Considering the closest thing to a reason they gave my friend was that they no longer needed his services, it seems odd to suddenly then hire another developer who will have to spend a month learning the code base. My friend was a developer and the new guy was a developer who likely cost far more than my friend did. That was over a year ago. They haven't released any new products since then as far as I can tell from their website. This was over a year ago now.

As I said before, I never mentioned the employer by name or location or anything like that. You'd have to had known me in order to know where I was. I didn't use anyone's personal names, either, unless they were close friends and already knew about my blog.

People complain about their jobs and situations to friends all the time. Should that be a firing offense? Sometimes I was echoing conversations that actually happened while at work with other employees. But no, the blog wasn't setup to complain about work or anything like that. The blog pre-dated even working at that company by a couple years. Usually I rambled on about girls, school(when I was still in it), tech ideas, or meaning of life stuff. :)

Ok, I'm done now. In short: If you work for someone else, be careful about what you write online. While I think it is sad that something like a blog can get you fired, there isn't much you can do about it, I suspect. Personally, I think that firing someone for a blog is akin to firing someone for having the "wrong" political sign planted in their front yard. But that's just me.

6. monco

Original Member

It's not only the melodramatic stuff, it's the mundane everyday diary entries that kill me ("did a little work...need to buy that book on amazon...Seinfeld was really funny today"). I though diaries were supposed to be private? WTF?

7. Sunshine

Original Member

God, how could someone with all those skills and great looking games on his resume still whine so much.?

I hope I'm not so bitter when I get that successfull :p

8. Curiosoft

Indie Author

Hey Stefan,

It sounds like you have a deep passion for game development. Make sure you see it through. Sure, you've had challenges. My recommendation would be to spend 1-2 hours reading books that will help you develop the other skills in life necessary to succeed.

A lot of reason why Indies don't make a lot of money is because they are great at the game development stuff, but they lack business skills/motivational skills/focus/positive attitude/etc.

Thomas Edison failed 10,000 times before developing the light bulb. If I only have to fail 1000 times to reach my goals, then I consider myself lucky ;)

Take care,
    Curiosoft