im developing in c++

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by dregosa, Dec 31, 2015.

1. dregosa

dregosa New Member

hello im planning to develop a game in c++ a basic 2d game but how can you load in images to openGL from a sprite sheet ?

2. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Is there any reason you wish to implement the game using c++ and OpenGL exclusively?

For example, if your intention is to learn OpenGL, you can ignore my suggestion :)

Otherwise, I can highly recommend SDL2 which is a cross platform helper library that will, among other things, do the loading of images for you.

It also simplifies the tasks of setting up OS specific windows, controllers, fonts etc.

Good luck!

3. dregosa

dregosa New Member

Thank you im looking in to it :)

4. Michael Flad

Indie Author

If you want to work in C++ but are free to use any SDK/middleware you might to have a look at the Marmalade SDK.

It's a pretty decent SDK with various levels of abstraction depending on what you want to do, there's free (of course slightly limited) option available and you can target quite a few platforms. As far as I know it's the only one supporting iOS builds on Windows.

https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/