IGC'04 Registration begins

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Dan MacDonald, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

2. Mark Currie

Indie Author

For me, Eugene is a five hour drive. I went to IGC in 2002 and 2003. This conference is a lot of fun. It's like a mini GDC that focuses on indie games. I'll be going again this year. I hope to meet some people on these forums there.

3. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I've never been before and I'm unfamiliar with it. What is the biggest benefit of going to the IGC?

4. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well like most of these typs of conferences, what makes it all worth while is being in a room with 100's of other like minded individuals. Watching people who think and belive like you do showing off their games whil you swap development stories.

On top of that, there a good number of successful people and expirenced people who you can learn invaluable things from. The sessions are great, but often the most useful purpose is an opening to go and speak to the presenter after it's over to discuss how what they've said might apply to you.

I'm convinced that one of the ways you are successful as an Indie is to surround yourself with successful indies who are doing what you want to do. This is THE place to find other indie's.

And lets face playing new indie game concepts before their release is pretty fun too. Despite being pre-release code the game at IGC have been a blast to play.

5. kerchen

Indie Author

I'll second what Dan said: if you go around introducing yourself to the people at the IGC, you're going to find someone who you'll be glad you met. You'll meet lots of like-minded indies (and not just programmers--artists are there in force), most of the major online publishers, indie press folks (like Greg from DIY), and many other characters that defy easy classification. I went for the first time last year and it was worth the long, cramped, sweaty flight from Detroit; I'll be there again this year if I can swing it.

6. Mark Currie

Indie Author

I would agree that one of the best things about the conference is meeting and talking with other indie developers. Also, last year a number of indie publishers were there to talk to. There were guys from Real, Shockwave, Pogo, etc.

If you have a project that's almost ready, it's a good place to show it off and get some feedback from developers.

This conference is very motivational. It will pump you up about making indie games.

7. Jim Buck

Indie Author

This does sound like it could be interesting, but the website gives no listing of sessions or anything specific. Will this be put up soon?

8. Mark Currie

Indie Author

I think in previous years they listed a detailed schedule. I'd check the site again later.

9. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Last year, the info didn't make it to the site until a couple weeks after registrations started. For me, it doesn't matter what the topics are. I'm going for the express reason to hang with other indies, and to show off my game. Better than blowing $150 in a bar :)

10. Cartman

Indie Author

I agree with everyone here. This is the best conference I've been to. It's small enough that you get to meet almost everyone. Basically a great place to network with like minded people.

Last years session on marketing was worth the $150 all by itself.

I can't every justify going to GDC (just too much money). However this one is a no brainer.

See you guys there.