IGC 2006 Cancelled

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Greg Squire, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Greg Squire

Original Member

If you haven't heard by now, Garage Games has cancelled IGC this year. (See http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/55/11132). What a bummer; I was really looking forward to going this year, especially since I'm using TGB now. Not sure if there were other reasons why they cancelled it, like Jay Moore leaving, or if they lost some attendees to other conferences (like Casuality and the Casual Games Conference). :( Hopefully they can resurrect it for next year.

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

GarageGames canceled Indie gaming. Everybody go get a job.

3. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Funny as the IGC a couple year's back was the first event I went to and was great fun to meet many had only known via email, but that was also the last time I went. Most others I know also planned to skip IGC this year with most saying GDC and Casuality are more than enough. Even at those there's not a whole lot useful for veterans other than to press the flesh. Plus there's still the upcoming Austin conference.

4. Hamumu

Indie Author

This would've been my first! I've never had any interest in technical conferences. I just can't picture actually learning anything I'd retain at something like that. So IGC sounded like just what I wanted - hanging out and meeting indies, making connections and doing the big game room. I've never wanted to go to GDC (and I don't even consider Casuality to be related to my line of work)!

Here's to hoping they aren't lying about giving the refunds (that would make for a profitable conference!). Just glad I procrastinated so much about plane tickets and hotel. See kids, procrastination is useful.

5. Cartman

Indie Author

Wow. And I just bought my ticket a few days ago. Guess I don't need to rush to finish my game then. :)

6. Mike D Smith

Original Member

I wonder if it has anything to do with their involvement in XNA with Microsoft.

7. Matthew

Indie Author

Or with Jay Moore recently leaving...

8. arcadetown

Funny as IGC seemed to me a more techie conference geared towards selling/supporting Torque. IMHO Casuality is probably more for you as it's got the most indies under one roof with hanging out and stuff. GDC is a lot harder to find indies at.

9. zoombapup

I wonder if casuality europe has the same feeling as the american one.

My feeling is though, that letting indie equate to "casual" kind of mixes the metaphors a bit.

My games arent what I'd class as casual. They dont really speak to a casual audience and I doubt they'd be interesting to casual publishers.

So would I fit in at casuality I ask myself :)

10. Hamumu

Indie Author

That's how I feel... I don't even want to interface with the casual crowd (nor the commercial crowd, hence no GDC). Way too much emphasis on business and disinterest in creativity there for me. From what I've heard, having gone to none of these, I would want to go to IGC for the room where you hang out and play games. That's really my only interest - meeting creative, socially inept, people and seeing their games (which are so offbeat no portal would ever take them, and 2/3 of them are too ambitious to ever be finished anyway... that's my crowd!). I bet some of the people at Casuality even wear suits!

(all speculation, of course!)

11. Laser Lou

Original Member

It sounds like casual gaming might be bifurcating to "indie" casual and "commercial" casual.

12. zoombapup

Well, I dont know. I dont consider my games "casual". Probably "indie" but I hate categorizing them.

Multiplayer is my only category of choice if we have to have one :)

13. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Categories are useful b/c they often have built-in audiences and you can thereby begin to attach a small crowd to your product without a lot of work. (that's marketing speak)

Indie as a category has been a long-time in creation. It was not a common term when Game Tunnel or Garage Games first started up. However, it is still has a fairly ambiguous meaning and has a limited (though steady following). I would suggest only categorizing yourself if you feel you want the added audience. (which has plusses and minuses)

--

The more I've pondered over the IGC canceling this year the more I believe we won't see it return. The general feel I am getting after digesting it for a day is that GG saw IGC as not being the best use of their time (i.e. there are better things they could be doing). With Jay Moore and his connections gone I have to believe that funding the conference would be difficult and organizing it clearly more difficult. My guess is that like many marketing events GG questions the value of IGC. Clearly if it were deemed very valuable it wouldn't drop out plain and simple. Priority wise IGC seems to be lower on the list than a lot of things.

After the pain of canceling this year, next year should be fairly easy to ignore unless at some point IGC is higher on the priority list. The fact is there are always projects that any company will be deeply involved with. Doing work that is more community and marketing based means changing the timeframe for delivery on those projects, which again I think is the issue here and makes me believe we may have seen the last of IGC.

So is that good or bad? My guess is that it is bad as I believe it takes away, a little, at Indie building its category. As indie becomes 'Casual' it loses identity. The IGF and the expansion of the GDC to having some more indie sessions prior to the conference would be a great solution if something like that were to happen. Casuality did have a 'indie' day on the last day of the conference, but it didn't feel 'different' from the rest of the conference other than being lower in attendance.

I think the real question goes back to the value of categorizing. Certainly Indie was built up with specific reason. Jay hated shareware as a category and GG pushed indie. GT has also pushed indie for years to try and create association with the category. However, with the blur of Casual/Indie towards casual it may be that the time for categories has gone...or that it is time to put further effort into Indie or another category (Downloadable games has been my new favorite). Or it may be time to just let the category equity fall by the wayside. From GT's standpoint that would be either extremely dangerous or strategically minded ;).

14. Matthew

Indie Author

I believe the GDC is looking at doing an "indie"/IGF-branded thing on a tutorial day before the bulk of the show starts up. It still raises questions about cost--those tutorials-only passes or giga passes aren't cheap--but I think it's a promising step in the right direction.

15. Coyote

Indie Author

My hope was that IGC would evolve to be much more of a "grass roots" version of GDC (and cheaper at that) - sorta like how GDC was in its early days.

I haven't been there in a while, but the last time I was at GDC, it was priced well out of the reasonable range for a many a struggling self-funded indie, and it was far too focused on AAA retail information to be of much use to indies. Oh, and the term "indie" with the fledgling IGF seemed to be more of a euphamism for "guys trying to break into the industry."

It didn't seem like a useful place for indies.

16. zoombapup

cyrus: I think your spot on with your analysis there. Its a matter of community versus product. Early in GG's life, community was important to gain impetus.

With the loss of Jay, I think it marks a shift away from community and more towards development and product.

Which is fair enough I guess, but I dont think you can be both. At least not effectively.

Which means to me at least, that we've lost a big voice of the "indie" (as in the 'unique development' rather than 'casual' indie). Working in isolation was never fun and IGC used to break that up for me and provide a useful milestone. I'll miss it.

I really dont think GDC is the right place for an alternative, because its too big and impersonal. Plus I just never saw any real value in going past the parties.

I think here in the UK we'll have our own little scene, so maybe we wont do so badly, but you guys in the US need a place to go and focus on.

Ah well, its all part of life.

17. Pyabo

Original Member

Well, all we need then is someone to throw together a new conference. I vote for Seattle. :)

Clearly, Casuality is a whole 'nother market from the IGC... There is definitely room for both. Casuality was definitively geared toward business and the big players.

18. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Anyone going to PAX? I'm planning on being there this weekend.

19. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

I'll probably be there Saturday for The Spoils beta tourney, and I'll be there Sunday to take in more of the sights.

20. Hamumu

Indie Author

I like that idea! I bet PAX could be convinced to set up an indie gameroom at their event in the future pretty easily. And that solves the whole boring lecture problem, too. And damn if it ain't 1/10 the price of IGF! I mean a 3-day pass at the door is $45. I'm actually emailing them right now with the to-be-ignored suggestion for future PAXes. It would fit right in. Feel free to lobby them in person.