if copyright didnt exist...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by cliffski, Apr 17, 2005.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

what game would you make?
    I'd do a 2D space RTS set during the star trek ds9 war between the federation and the dominion. As the ultimate DS9 geek, I would make the best game ever :D
    I would love to see a decent game of this type, and due to the ineptitude of big developers and publishers, I know it will never happen (dominion wars was a joke).
    Do other indie developers have 'fantasy projects' they wish they could do?

2. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

A successor to XWing : Alliance
    A successor to Twinsen's Oddysey
    A Sci-Fi RPG using the Alternity ruleset and setting
    A remake of Gunship : 2000

3. papillon

Indie Author

A project that I will probably never get around to is absolutely written to happen in the setting of GURPS Transhuman Space.

But this isn't completely a copyright problem, as I (naively?) believe that if I had the resources to DO that game the way I want to, they'd probably let me promote the gamebooks through it. THS is a confusing setting and an RPG explaining it would make it a lot easier to get across to people, IMO. Much as Torment made Planescape come alive for so many...

Now, all I need is a full-blown engine and a team of 3d artists.... yeah.

4. Martoon

Original Member

List that on your website, and I'll pre-order it right now.

5. lakibuk

Indie Author

6. Abscissa

Original Member

I'd make a "real" Super Mario World 2 for SNES. Complete with a level editor! (Yoshi's Island was alright, but not the SMW 2 I'm still waiting for). Or maybe Chips Challenge 2! Or, a sequel to the not-well-known but very fun DOS game Clyde's Revenge! Man, this is fun to think about :D

I'm normally not big on the whole liscenced-IP thing, but I would LOVE to work on, or even better, lead development on, an official Nintendo IP game :)

7. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I would... um, actually I would still prefer to develop my own characters - but it would have to be purely as a hobby, since there would be no game industry without copyright...

Sorry, that wasn't really in the spirit of the exercise, was it?

8. bluejay

Original Member

I'd make a real legit sequel to Deus Ex, not that BS they put out called invisible war. :mad:

9. Ricardo C

Original Member

I'd re-do Might and Magic IX, and do it right ;)

10. merovingian

Original Member

The Last StarFighter... 'Nuff said...

11. etali

Original Member

I'd do a game set in the Battletech universe, a bit like MW2 Mercenaries, but with a better story.

I can't explain it without waffling on for pages and pages but the BattleTech games have never felt as good as the books to me - I think they always limit the player too much, and it feels wrong playing the 'wrong side' to me :)

12. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Labyrinth

Play Sarah, Hoggle, Ludo and Didymus in an isometric adventure. Lots of hand pixelled puppet creatures, and David Bowie tunes rendered on a C64 SID chip. Ev-ery thing I've done I've done for YOU.. beeeep-beep beeeep beep bip bip bip bip BEEP. yeah.

13. otaku

Original Member

Strangely in January 2003 I was offered the position of Lead Programmer on the next instalment of Heroes of M & M. Various staff of New World Computing apologised to me profusely during my interview at the company for the horrible mess that was the latest incarnations of the M&M franchise. I got the job but... to cut a long story short, decided not to take it.

Three months later 3DO filed for bankruptcy. So that was a bullet I dodged.

Apologies for the poor grammar and/or spelling. Slightly inebriated after the consumption of a bottle of wine at the BBQ we just had.

14. Pyabo

Original Member

Great topic Cliffski! I would write either a new top-down Ultima game, or a new Zelda game done in the old classic NES/SNES style.

The idea of a "real" Super Mario World 2 is a good one also. I think Yoshi's Island is one of the best platform games ever made, but I was sorely disappointed that it didn't have the overworld map and elaborate secrets that SMW did. I actually just finished playing Yoshi's Island a few months ago. I'm only a decade behind in my game playing now!

15. Abscissa

Original Member

I still have yet to finish Mario 64 :D. Ironic considering I've already beaten Mario Sunshine twice, lol.

16. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Super Mario World and Mario 64 are both here, waiting for that mythical time in the sometime future when I'll have the chance to sit down and play them properly.

17. Robert Cummings

Original Member

To be honest I would hate to do any game based on existing characters/themes. The only exceptions would be common mythology or 18th century characters/historic things. Even then I would redesign it...

I *LOVE* designing my own stuff. For me, thats the whole point, the whole enjoyment I get out of making games.

My game, my idea... turning that into a reality is the coolest thing ever (apart from the untold riches to follow).

18. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I'd love to do a Barbie game... oh wait. :D

Yeah, the alure of original designs is far too tempting. My time in the mainstream industry has so ruined my interest in doing licensed and branded games.

19. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Were you responsible for that horrific snes barbie game?

:)

20. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Haha no. Secret Agent Barbie on GBA and Gotta Have Games (minigame collection) on PSX.

As for worst, GBC had an awful one too, with flying cosmetics... I can't even think of how the game was played. :D

And that's all I've played... really...

Ok maybe the PC Secret Agent Barbie... but that's it...