I want to make a game but i don't know what game engine i should use

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by ZeroDex, May 21, 2017.

1. ZeroDex

ZeroDex New Member

Now i am a total beginner and i have never made my own game. But i really want to make a game. Now the game i want to make is a monster catching game similar to Pokemon, Digimon and Persona type games. Where the monsters and trainers can battle. But the problem is i do not know what game engine i should use. I was thinking of using RPG Maker since i heard it is easy for beginners to use that game engine. But i don't know if that engine will allow for me to create a monster Catching game. So could someone help me out and give me some information.

2. TheTodd

TheTodd New Member

RPG Maker is probably a good place to start, and I would be VERY surprised if there wasn't a way to make a monster capture game on the engine. If anything, Google, "RPG Maker Monster Catching games" and see what pops up!

Speaking of Google, don't be afraid to ask about the best engines out there, and see other people's experiences. In know you're doing it here in this thread, but cast a wide net, you never know who might help!

3. Toskigi

Toskigi New Member

RPGMaker is indeed a good selection for a beginner. However, do your best to learn everything you can about the engine while you're playing with it. Make a test project along with your main project, that way you can try things out and implement them as a serious thing into your game without getting confused with "why did I make this map...was this my testing map?". It will help you out in the long run.

It's definitely possible to make a monster catching game in RPGMaker, it just takes a bit of "know how"...which, I'm still currently learning as well to be honest. You never stop learning when you make games, so keep that in mind.

4. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis New Member

Agree with - RPG Maker is great place!

5. HyperShock

HyperShock New Member

Hey, I have owned two game studios and am a programmer as well as a sound designer so here is my advice.

I wouldn't recommend starting with the game idea you have. It's too complicated for a beginner. I believe that if you work at it, you could definitely do it someday, but not now.

I would recommend learning Java or C++, and then learn some game libraries for those languages respectively.

Once you learn one of those, you should assemble an indie team to create the game you would like.

Now I know that sounds like it sucks because it's a lot of work to learn all of that and it takes a lot of time. But unfortunately, that's how game development works.

I hope you're successful with your game!

Sincerely, Gavin

NicolaLC likes this.
  6. Zambie17

Zambie17 New Member

Hey we are a up and coming game company that is currently working on a project as we speak and here is my advice , depending on the type of game you want to make you don't need c++ or anything like that in rpg maker it is a good place to start and you can learn the programming AS you build your game and learn step by step, also if you are in VN games ( visual novels) try something like renpy and they explain about everything you need to know.

The point is start small go with the idea you have and learn as you go its ok to make a few mistakes every now and again

7. RadicalBradical

RadicalBradical New Member