I want to make a 3D platformer. What engine should I use?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Flipflapsnsocks, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Flipflapsnsocks

Flipflapsnsocks New Member

Hey guys! New to the forum, I was wondering if anyone knew which of the free engines (UE4, Cry, Unity, Etc.) is best for playing around with a medium scope 3D platformer. Think Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash or Jak and Daxter style gameplay. Thanks in advance!

2. Xplosio

Xplosio New Member

any of these engine will be greate to do such a platformer.

My personal preference is Unity and UE4 for such project, because they give you the right assets to do such a game. But as I sad: it would be possible for any of these Game Engine to make a 3D Platformer.

You should also think about the 3D Modeling Tool you want to use, because if its blender I would highly recommand Unity.

3. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Unity, short and sweet.

4. sudo.radish

sudo.radish New Member

Unity is probably going to be the best solution. I am pretty sure there is a free project on the unity store that essentially acts as a tutorial through 3D platforming.