I need some advice

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Dragon98gt, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Dragon98gt

Dragon98gt New Member

Hi, I want to step into the video game industry. I'm not much interested in programming. I'm looking into game designing field like animator, graphics designer etc. I just completed computer science engineering. So can anybody give an advise about game designing, its scope, job opportunities etc?

JoyFreak likes this.
  2. DumpsterFire

DumpsterFire New Member

There's a crazy amount of stuff you can get a job in, and it's all incredibly diverse. As long as you know what you're doing, that is.

The first thing is what type of job you want. Are you working by yourself, with some friends, or in a fully fledged company? These different work environments have their pros and cons, and it wouldn't hurt to do a little research.

What type of design do you want to focus on? There's background, lighting, character design, items, and tons of other stuff. You could also be a jack of all trades, and dive into each of them.

You said you completed computer science engineering, so you do have some experience under your belt. If you have the resources, now would be a good time to experiment with different styles of games, different engines, different scopes, and find out what works for you. I know you're not interested in programming, but it is a useful skill to have, especially if you want to do this long term. There's literally tens of thousands of tutorials to get you into different languages, and you don't have to know eery single thing. Just the basics would be okay.

If you want a job at a company, it'd be good to research the type of stuff they need, their pay, etc. Different companies also have different work environments, like EA is very different from Naughty Dog not only in design, but also atmosphere. EA is more of a corporation bent on making money, in my opinion.

3. gravisxv

gravisxv New Member

You can start doing design yourselves. Maybe try to design something not so difficult initially.

4. JoyFreak

JoyFreak New Member

I definitely recommend signing up to sites/forums like these to seek advise or work. I would also give https://www.joyfreak.com/ a try, they also have some indie developers who are seeking for work.

5. shelbydate

shelbydate New Member

Start doing designs, and then when you apply for a job interview, you can show off your designs and it will be easier for you and the employer to what task you will be most compatible.

JoyFreak likes this.