I Need Feedback for a Game Idea

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by ADA Dev, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ADA Dev

ADA Dev New Member

I'm very new to game development. I've never completed making a game in my life, but I'm currently coming up with ideas for a story game.
    This is literally off the top of my head, and I've been planning it out a bit.
    The story is about a man that has grown up alone due to his differences compared to other people. He was repeatedly bullied and discriminated against as a child. He never had friends, so as any lonely child would do, he came up with an imaginary friend, which we'll call "Rem". Rem ends up giving him a cross necklace, which doesn't seem too important at first.
    He grew up with Rem, until he meets a girl in Secondary School.
    So Rem kinda fades from memory as the protagonist grows older and goes into college.
    One day, he gets a call from his grandmother stating that his mother had died from cancer. He fell into a state of depression and dropped out of college to work at a nearby café, and lived alone in an apartment.
    One day, after work, he was feeling especially alone. (This is where the cross necklace comes into play) The necklace hangs over his bed, because he believes that it "protects him and keeps him company".
    After he falls asleep that night, a strange force caused the nail holding the necklace to come unscrewed, waking him up (The point is not made clear at first, but it was done to remind the character of Rem). After falling asleep once more, the character falls into a deep sleep. It is meant to make the player think "oh, I woke up in another realm. nice." but it is later revealed that it's all just a dream. Eventually you reach a point that makes it seem like you're about to wake up, but you soon realize that there is no escape. The "moderator" which I won't reveal is the reason that you're stuck, and the end goal is to reach them and either convince them to let you go, or kill them.

that was a long post, im sorry.

2. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Nice story. The only part I'd remove is "kill them". There's well enough games about killing. It's not appropriate to your project. Find another creative way to get out of there. Maybe the "moderator" is his own image in the mirror and he has to "step through the mirror".

ADA Dev likes this.
  3. Scoper

Indie Author

It seems you have a pretty good idea what your story is going to be. So I won't comment on that. In stead, I recommend you stop working on the story and continue your design process from a different angle. There are many other questions you need to ask yourself in the beginning of your design process. Such as:
    • What is your target audience and why will your game appeal to them?
    • Which platforms are you going to target?
    • What game engine or technology should you use?
    • Which gameplay mechanics and controls form the core of the game?
    • What will the game look like?
    • Scope. How big is it going to be?
    • How much time (and money?) are you going to spend on it?
    • Will you do everything yourself or get help and/or buy finished assets?
    • Most importantly - why are you doing it? To make money? To get experience? Impress your friends? Get a job in the game industry? For fun?
    I hope this helps. Personally, I would never start any project, big or small, if I cannot answer these questions.

ADA Dev likes this.
  4. ADA Dev

ADA Dev New Member

Hello! Actually I thought of this beforehand ^^
    I was planning on making it an 2D RPG game for the PC, mostly targeted towards teens or young adults. I've been scoping out Unity and learning the mapping of the program lately, and I have the basics. The battle system that I've decided on is more of a "pacifist" type, where you're supposed to "forgive" an enemy, or if it comes to desperate measures, you'll be able to bring the enemy's HP down, then end the battle.
    I've sketched out a map of the area that I'll include in the demo.
    The demo won't be too "wall breaking" or detailed, but I'm hoping to work on this for a few years just to get some experience under my belt. By the time I'm finished I'm hoping for it to be a decent, well laid-out story game with good mechanics.
    I'm pretty poor, but I'm not really making it to sell or put out for the public, unless people want me to.
    I've made a page on instagram for putting out the ideas/calling for volunteers, but if I don't get anyone to do it, I could spend an extra few months (or more) making the sprites, tilesets, etc. myself.

Scoper likes this.
  5. ADA Dev

ADA Dev New Member

Thank you for the advice! <3 I'll look more into something else.

kevintrepanier likes this.