I Have No Idea Where to Start

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Lennon Knight, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Lennon Knight

Lennon Knight New Member

Hello, my name is Lennon Knight (Or Payton Knight). I see many indies crawling around with inspiration and dedication, and I imagine, "If there are so many indie devs, it must be easy, right?". Then I went into a downward spiral, having no idea where to start, what to download, and what to learn. The only things I know so far is this:
    • First game should be super easy.
    • You have to learn how to code (I want to learn C# cause im interested in 2d development like Christian Whitehead)
    • I wanna make a Parappa the Rapper fangame as my long term goal.
    Sadly, that's it. I hope I get some good advice and I cant wait for a response!

2. woahitsjc

woahitsjc New Member

First off, it's great that you have a goal. What I suggest is that you download Unity since it uses C# and you can create 2d games. Have a play around Unity to get familiar with it or jump straight to Unity's tutorial which I find very useful https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials. Just keep making a ton of small games until you are comfortable with the workflow.

Hope this helps as I am not an expert myself.

DukeofRealms likes this.
  3. LongRunGames

LongRunGames New Member

+1 for unity, I have created an android game using the tutorials before and I found it much easier than starting from scratch, which I have done before and since. plus you can build for multiple platforms with very little modifications if any.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on forums like this, or others and when you do, try and provide as much information as possible, including the work you have done so far to diagnose the issue and source code.

I normally start by splitting the goal (in your case Parappa the Rapper style game) into as many sub goals as possible and work through them, don't worry about going too small on the goals, as each one crossed off will show some progress.
    you may find that as you go you think of more sub goals so add them to the list as you go.

Graham.

4. 3ph0r

Hey. sorry if im a bit late to this.

There are any ways to make games. It really depends on what your end goal is, do you want to employed as a developer one day? will you only ever make small games just for fun?

if you think that one day you want to be a developer then yes learn programming asap and get good at it (can be a very difficult and long process) and use engines like unity3D, UE4 or CryEngine.

if you just want to make games for fun then you can use engines like Clickteam Fusion or game maker, both of which are paid for but many good games have been made with them! these engines don't require you to program but you will just need to understand basic logic.

hope this helps :)