I have ideas but dont know where to go.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Maue, May 2, 2015.

1. Maue

Maue New Member

Hello,

You can call me Maue, and it's kind of been my passion to design a sandbox MMO for as long as I can remember. This game has been evolving and living in my mind for YEARS and YEARS now (I have an entire world built and even know how I want things to interact with each other, try me. Ask anything about my world and I can explain why.) but I seem to be stuck on how accomplish the technical-computerey aspect of the designing process. I'm more of just the "hey I have a vision and here's how it should fit together" person than the person who actually puts it together in the computer. I'm to the point where I've hit a wall.

Here's the questions that I have:
    (This is my first time using an Indie Forum so, please, be gentle.)

1. How would I protect my game (the idea, or soul of it) so that I can share information and recruit people to assist? Do I just write up a legal note saying "hey, sign this and if you blab or steal then this will happen" and pass it out?

2. Where should I look to get help from people who can actually program and model and code and maybe help make a short movie about my game? Do I just ask on here?

I have a general idea of what I need to do, but not the know-how or manpower to do it. I want to protect my game so I can share it with you guys, and get help to make videos and some artwork so I can start up a kickstarter. Once a kickstarter is actually up and running I'll be able to support any people who help me with the computer aspect of fleshing out the world and running servers. I just kind of need someone to toss the ball around with to actually get this game up and moving. A manager to heard my creative flow into the physical world, even. And just some good old fashioned help actually creating a world.

I don't want to take my ideas to a company.. They'll just take my baby and run with it to directions I'm sure wont live up to my expectations. (ha ha)

Thank you so much for any feedback! It's much appreciated.
    ~Maue

2. stan

Original Member Indie Author

Just my opinion…

It’s unlikely anyone cares about your idea. I don’t mean that it’s a bad idea/concept (hell, I don’t know anything about it!), just that people usually want to work on *their* ideas. And even if two different teams started working on the same concept, they’d probably end up with two very different games. What I mean with all that is you can probably tell a lot about your concept without risking anyone "stealing" it and implementing your game before you do.

If you are still afraid, then making people sign NDAs is the way to go I suppose, but as someone with no track record who is not telling anything about their project, it will probably be difficult to get people to do it. Also do you have the money to prosecute those who don’t respect the NDA?

As to your second question, working at a distance with strangers is gonna be difficult unless they are experienced professionals IMO, so it’s best if you can group with one or two friends who can draw/code to start the project. Strangers will probably want to be paid sooner rather than later, too.

Finally, an MMO is one of the most difficult kind of games to make. It’s hard to design and program, it requires infrastructure, and then you need to attract enough players…

3. Maue

Maue New Member

Thank you for the fast reply Stan.

I understand what you're saying about people really only wanting to work on *their* ideas, but as a gamer myself I also understand the rule "better save than sorry". I'd rather have the protection, any protection at all, and not need it than end up needing it and not having any.

I know I have no track record, and that I'm being very closed-mouth about my game right now, but that's not how I want to be. That's the entire reason I'm looking for protection: so I can spread my idea and possibly pull in other developers who like it.

All friends I know are not proficient in coding or programming, though I do have a few artists I know (I'm a mediocre one myself so we run in the same circles). This is why I'm asking if there is a place I can post to for additional help.

MMO designing is hard, but it's also my dream. I'm willing to stick with developing this game until it's complete. I also understand that nothing is free and those that assist me will, in most cases, expect monetary gain. I'm not in it for personal fame or money gain, so it would be complete profit share between everyone who's helping. Crowd funding and kickstarters can pull in decent funding, but step one is to make something to show them.

Do you know anywhere else I can post with programmers who could be interested?

4. WorldAboveGames

WorldAboveGames New Member

Typical MMO games take years of development with a BIG team. My advice would be to start small and make your own games to get experience because quite frankly, everybody has an idea, and ideas aren't gonna get you anywhere unless you make them a reality. Then maybe someday, youre ultimate idea will come to fruition. Good luck man ;)