I detect a shit/fan interface...[Apple requires apps be written in C ]

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by princec, Apr 8, 2010.

1. vjvj

Indie Author

People are taking my "it's like consoles" analogy way out of context :(

I don't understand this insistence on arguing the technical/dev side of things. This is very clearly a **MARKETING** move by Apple... Apple will continue to fight tooth and nail against supporting any framework that allows trivial re-deployment to other platforms.

If this whole situation "doesn't make sense" to anyone, it's because they are ignoring the importance of content exclusivity. It's the only truly understandable argument for it IMHO. The technical/quality reasons are all just misdirection if you ask me...

#161 vjvj, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Exactly - look at the iPhone ads that are on TV. Every single one pushes the "There's an app for that" and how great it is that they have all these apps.

That's not so good a selling point when all those apps are also available on every single Android device.

3. dewitters

Original Member

"Running flash games, there's an app for th.." oh no, wait, there's no app for that :(.

4. tolik

Original Member

14 month dev cycle for a console game versus 3 month dev cycle? I'd sure go for an iPhone. Oh wait, iPhone? Pfff, I'd skip that straight to Facebook.

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes but what is typical dev cycle/time for a FB game ? ;)
    (not talking about alpha versions but a stable release).

6. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

I agree that Apple's motives have to do with making it more difficult for software to be ported to other platforms, but what actually concerns me as a developer is the technical/dev side of things. I just can't think of any platform less reliable with regard to getting published than Apple's iPhone and its siblings.

7. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

The question wasn't about console games v.s. iPhone games. The question was about which policies are less friendly to developers.

8. Scharlo

Original Member

No one can't answer this question until someone actually release a stable Facebook game. Based on the current data, typical time is infinite.

9. Scharlo

Original Member

Nintendo recently started enforcing the policy that prevent developers from using ANY open source libraries (including LUA for example) in the Wiiware games.

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Lol true, mine was a silly question. All the FB games are in an infinite "beta" stage :D

11. luggage

Yes, but this is because of problems with the various licenses they come under - not just "because we want to".

12. Bad Sector

Original Member

What problems does the MIT license (which LUA is under) have?

13. luggage

I don't know - try emailing Nintendo and ask them.