I detect a shit/fan interface...[Apple requires apps be written in C ]

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by princec, Apr 8, 2010.

1. KNau

Original Member

The "thank God, no flood of crappy Flash games" arguments would hold more water if the App Store weren't already flooded with crappy coded-in-a-weekend direct rip offs of Flash games.

Ooh - a sliding block puzzle! Can I please pay a dollar for that?!

I don't know many pro Flash developers who were going to invest much more than a passing interest in this anyways. It would have been nice, but far from a money maker.

In case you haven't noticed they don't print those "I got rich in the App Store" news stories like they used to.

2. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Just a shame that Apple aren't able to see it what with it being flash and all :D

3. andrew

andrew New Member

I think Apple can certainly ban any development practice which they find unsavory (including using Adobe cross-compilers), and they can already kick your game out of the store for any number of trivial TOS violations. How is that different from writing for other closed platform (ex. XBLA)?

Working backwards, if you are writing Flash games and are intending to make money, the iPhone is probably last on your list of target platforms -- well below Facebook, big game portals, etc. There are way over 10,000 games in the app store, so the flood of "crap" has already happened....

- andrew

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

5. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

There's nothing different about the Apple situation, except, and this is the important bit, there's absolutely no valid reason for Apple to limit development like they have. Apple didn't want Flash, so Adobe worked around that and then Apple moves the goal posts.

6. tolik

Original Member

I want Opera on my iPhone. With Flash support.

7. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

Wait, you mean there are twats who don't realise it obviously goes next to the type?

8. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Ha! Bravo! :D
    (though not entirely true, but good joke)

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

10. hippocoder

Indie Author

All this negative/positive press is all doing apple a universe of good :) There is no bad press, only the amount of times Apple gets printed and read by people :)

11. vjvj

Indie Author

From a developer standpoint I totally agree, but it should still be easy to see why they are doing this from a biz perspective.

To support Flash is to suddenly introduce a bajillion apps that are NOT iPhone exclusives, and exclusives are always important for closed/semi-closed platforms like consoles and... well, most Apple products.

We can all save ourselves a lot of nerd rage if we accept the iPhone as the "console" that it really is :D

12. Reactor

Awesome, thankyou! I just replaced Safari.

13. Bad Sector

Original Member

Aren't you concerned that the data goes through Opera's servers? Thats the major reason i'm not going to use it.

14. Reactor

Good question. I had no idea anything went through Opera's servers.

More info?

15. Bad Sector

Original Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_Mini
    It also mentions it on the opera site somewhere.

16. Reactor

Interesting. Their FAQ is quite comprehensive regarding all of the issues. I guess if you're just browsing then it's not an issue, but I wonder why the iPhone got Mini instead of the Mobile version, which doesn't use Opera's servers.

17. hippocoder

Indie Author

Everyone who shouts I'm not using it! is obviously browsing risky stuff like mobile.prontu...

18. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

*bows*
    (shh.. don't look into it too deeply ;))

19. sindisil

Original Member

This is the point that I think people need to get: iP* is a closed platform, and, as such, Apple get's to call the tune. If you want to dance, you do it to *their* tune, or not at all.

No different than the consoles, both good and bad.

20. Scharlo

Original Member

Exactly. I am only wondering why is this so hard to understand.