I detect a shit/fan interface...[Apple requires apps be written in C ]

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by princec, Apr 8, 2010.

1. princec

Indie Author

2. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

I wonder what that means for Unity iPhone considering Unity games aren't written in "C, C++ or objective C", and its JavaScript is compiled rather than "executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine".

What a bang-up job Apple is doing of getting me to dislike them as a company.

Edit: Spoke too soon. TFA says "I originally thought this would ban games written using Unity3D, but perhaps not — Unity3D produces a complete Xcode project and Objective-C source files, so it’s more like a pre-processor than a cross-compiler. Hard to tell."

Still, it doesn't help build my confidence in Apple platforms.

#2 Adrian Lopez, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I'm a jerk, so I said "thank you". I want the Unity stuff to slip by though, since middleware is good.

4. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

BTW - Unity users are discussing the implications of the change here. At this point, I still don't know what to make of it. If Unity iPhone needs Mono to operate then it means it is running JIT code and therefore may indeed be against the terms of the new iPhone Developer Program License Agreement.

5. barrygamer

Original Member

Hmm, knew this would happen (see old post somewhere)….
    There was no way apple were going to let people run flash apps this way.

CS5 is out in a week or so -- oh dear, all that work by adobe for nothing. We'll see how this one develops, we'll hear much more I'm sure.

Unity has been going for a while on iphone, surely they cant cut them off now? For a 3d game it looks a v nice option.

On a lighter note, my x months spent learning obj-c arent wasted :rolleyes:

[edit - the news is starting to hit all the usual sites. Its gonna be sh*t/fan for sure].

#5 barrygamer, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. Bad Sector

Original Member

Unity uses a static compiler for mono (mono supports both dynamic/jit and static compilation), so it doesn't need a VM. On the other hand, this "static compilation" probably is outside the C/ObjC/JS group.

Also i wonder if this affects haXe's iPhone support. Maybe not since haXe converts to C++ and doesn't compile directly to iPhone.

7. barrygamer

Original Member

The phrase "Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++" kind of kills any workaround Adobe (or others) could use, assuming one can detect 'converted/exported' code.

8. Maupin

Original Member

Wow, Apple just lost a lot of respect in my book. What a pissant move directed at Adobe (and Flash developers).

9. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Apple had your respect? Apple are the douches of the computer world. I mean, I love my iPhone and the look of this new update (aside from the ads- that could be trouble) but I've never expected Apple to do anything right.

On a side note, (for those who use it) it sounds as though Shiva apps will be unaffected.

10. Escapee

Original Member

11. Julio Gorge

Original Member

Don't bring out the pitchforks yet, I think we should wait and see if / how Apple enforces this.

Anyway this shouldn't surprise anyone, it's Apple we're talking about. Their true motto never was "Think Different", but rather "My way or the highway" :D .

@Escapee: Windows Mobile 6.5... nobody wants to invest on a smartphone running an OS that is on its way out.

12. Escapee

Original Member

13. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Or one that completely and utterly sucks. Sorry, I had to saw that. Windows Mobile is terrible. Perhaps the new one will be a large improvement but... compared to the iPhone OS, the current versions are a disaster.

EDIT: Hehe, Escapee... that's the article I was thinking of :)

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

They only wanted to prevent a flood of crappy games to appear on iPhone!
    Oh wait. It's too late already :D

15. Bad Sector

Original Member

Maybe, but you can still find good games in there without much effort (my latest awesome find is The Quest). Can you find one in any of those "Free Flash Games"?

I don't like the way they worded it because it has a lot of side effects (although i think i read somewhere that the terms are temporary and they'll be changed), but i agree with Apple's decision to keep Flash away from the iPhone, both as a developer and a user.

@Escapee:
    Users decide which platforms to support, not developers. And really all what Apple does is awesome from a user perspective.

16. princec

Indie Author

As I see it Apple are heading head on into antitrust territory, if not in the US, then probably Europe. Adobe appear to have a very strong case and as far as I can tell, a lot of precedent in various other industries.

Cas :)

17. wazoo

Original Member

I would argue more that you need the full triangle for awesomeness - vendor, developer AND consumer.

If you shit on any one of those 3, the other two get the fallout.

Update: Here's a good "roundup" of things affected by these TOS

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/why_apple_changed_section_331

Update 2: If you're using the new SDL 1.3 for the iPhone, then you *should* be "safe". I posted that article to the SDL newsgroup and Sam stated:

#17 wazoo, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  18. JGOware

Indie Author

"but i agree with Apple's decision to keep Flash away from the iPhone, both as a developer and a user."

Why? Flash doesn't make bad games, bad devs do. And there's a crap load of crap apps on the iphone already thank you. ;) With that said, you wouldn't be able to do more than basic flash games on the iphone anyway, the performance was/is rediculous.

19. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

Reminds me of a link somebody posted to Raph Koster's website: Stockholm Syndrome.

20. Bad Sector

Original Member

As a developer i agree with Apple because there is already too much competition in there with the thousands of developers and as you said there is already a lot of bad apps. I don't want my app to be drowned in a sea of crap. A puddle is ok, you can be spotted in it. A sea... not much :).

Also 100x more apps means 100x more work for Apple to process the requests and this means much bigger delays and/or less thought for each accepted app, which ends in more crap coming on the App Store.

As a user, well mostly for the same reasons: its already a bit hard to find good stuff in App Store. I'm sure (because thats what already happens on the web) that for each good Flash app that would exist, one thousand of bad ones will make sure that people won't find it.

I'm with Apple on this one: do you want your stuff on the App Store? Play by the(ir) rules.