http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Jay_Kyburz, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

Thaught some of you may be intrested in this site.

http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/

from the site.

* each game must be made in less than 7 days
    * each game must be made by one person, including all art, sound, and programming
    * each game must be based around a certain "toy" ie. "gravity", "vegetation", "swarm behavior", etc.

2. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

someone pointed me at this yesterday. I have to say its a superb idea. The big retail games could learn a thing or two from this site. Very inspiring :D

3. alfie

Indie Author

This is impressive stuff. I am downloading Tower of Goo by Kyle Gabler. Here is a quote from the Post Mortem he did for this game:

"Frequent feedback. When doing well, goo balls talk to you in muffled profanity."

A subliminal reward and sense of immersion ...pure genius as far as I am concerned.

4. Gmicek

Original Member

Crap. Tower of Goo is completely awesome.

5. FlySim

Indie Author

Tower of Goo is way too fun - pretty amazing for 4 days of dev.
    Got 28.3m....

6. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Haven't tried Goo yet, but I tried some of the others. Unfortunately they don't seem to work properly on this machine. But they worked well enough to get the idea.

Remarkably, for games that are meant to be quickie prototypes of unusual ideas, I didn't find the gameplay particularly interesting (at least on the ones I tried) but the presentation is nifty! Excellent sound and graphics; I particularly liked the greebly sound effects, and use of the human hand. Amazing what can be whipped up in a few days.

7. Ricardo C

Original Member

Tower of Goo is great fun, but "The Crowd" is my favorite, even if it's not quite a game. The visuals and sound have me spellbound.

8. Greg Squire

Original Member

Yep, there's some interesting ideas on that site. (Some good and others, uh, not so good) "Tower of Goo" is my favorite out of the one's I tried.

9. GBGames

Indie Author

It reminds me of Game in a Day, where the goal is to try to make a game in 24 hours. You don't have to do it all in a row, but ideally you should do it all in the same weekend.

10. Locoweed

Original Member

"The Crowd" has been my favorite so far. Pretty impressive stuff for the amount of time it took to create them. Lot's of caffeine I imagine.

11. alfie

Indie Author

Tower of Goo is this months "Internet Game of The Month" in EDGE Magazine.

12. MrPhil

Original Member

13. Lerc

Indie Author

I actually found the Ludum Dare to be quite an interesting experience.

The game I made was an idea that I never would have thought of if I hadn't taken part. It's even an original-ish game concept.

It was very tiring. Had a stint when I was awake for 36 odd hours because I still had other things to do during the day.

14. MrPhil

Original Member

I feel the same about my entry. In fact, several of the games I’ve looked at surprised me because the theme created this new interesting twist on everything. I hope people follow through with there games because there are some solid ideas in there.

A great example is the Photon game (sorry I can’t figure out the link right now.) At the core it is a Dweep or Pipelaying game but because of the darkness on the level you have to manipulate the game in a very cool way. On a few of the maps the solution wasn’t that difficult, but the hard part was moving the lights around to figure that out. I recommend taking a look at it because until you’ve played it, it is hard to image what I mean.

In fact, the contest had several interesting consequences that I would not have experienced out in the real world. One was a matter of planning and time management. The 23 hours of work I did was very focused, deliberate and concentrated work. I took breaks, exercised, slept and even went to a party during the 48 hr period but when I was working on the game I was systematically marching through tasks. I feel like my time was used very effectively. It is my intention to try and bring that intensity, focus and concentration into my normal work.

Another interesting side effect of the contest is the question of technology. I was the only person (I think) that used C#. Lots of arguments have been made against it in the real world but in the contest setting I knew I’d be most productive with it. Comparing my results to other’s work I can see that they got more done, but my code was going in a unique direction. So at this point I want to see it through and find out what it looks like at the end.

The best part for me is I have a new project that I'm pumped to continue work on. My other project is too big and it was starting to feel like a drag. I was feeling pretty frustrated. Finishing a small more focused project is just what I need probably.

Sorry, I feel like I hijacked the thread some.

<goes search for the link to Photon>
    EDIT:
    Here is it http://www.mechanicalcat.net/tech/ld48/6/allefant

#14 MrPhil, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2005