HTML5 Game Development

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by NighteySenpai, Dec 4, 2011.

1. NighteySenpai

NighteySenpai New Member

After the Removal of Flash from Phones it is obvious Apple only wants to promote Native apps, However I have often seen Flash game Sales Figures (take Fantastic Contraption,SteamBirds,Rebuild etc) show that there is money that can be made on the Flash Platform. However can the same be said about HTML5? I mean the code can easily be copied, And after reading Lost Decade's Games Blog Post about Their Experience on Onslaught Arena. I was Wondering is it worth it to jump on the HTML5 Bandwagon? Maybe in a Few years HTML5 will kill Flash, But Right now it looks little premature? No?

Also is there any to obfuscate your code?

P.S I am a total noob.

#1 NighteySenpai, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. Vdek

Vdek New Member

I've been playing around with Construct 2 for making HTML5 stuff, it's pretty neat and has an option to obfuscate your code.

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

HTML5 is a bit of a browser-dependent lottery - things that work perfectly well in Chrome (which is among the best for HTML5 support) don't work or behave correctly on other popular browsers. For that reason alone, I wouldn't bother with it yet.

4. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

Heck, HTML 4 support isn't consistent between browsers.

It comes down to the must-have features and capabilities for a particular project. I have used Raphael JS to add some must-have features on some projects; other projects work just fine using HTML 4 and Javascript.

5. Simon Tomlin

Simon Tomlin New Member

I am using Sencha's Ext 4 JS to write my game as it uses Raphael in its framework. The guy who wrote Raphael is part of Sencha now.

I do not think this approach would be ideal for a game which is heavily graphical orientated but its fine for my strategy war game which only requires SVG with animation.

The benefit of using a framework is that a lot of the cross browser stuff is already taken care of and its also uses the same code base as their mobile framework which apparently is one of the best. Mobile seems to be where the cutting edge is at the moment and so unless you really need the extra edge that native gives you then HTML5 will work on modern smartphones via a browser.

Also if you use HTML5 then its easy to plug into other wrapping services such as appMobi or some of the latest cloud based offerings which take care of which wrapped app to serve for you and also store data if needed.

The other benefit for me is that although writing the game has been a great experience I not exactly flipping through sales brochures wondering which Porche to buy so I am hoping I can take this experience and sell my skills it the Corporate world.

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Simon, I like strategy war games - do you have a link to your website?

7. Simon Tomlin

Simon Tomlin New Member

No, I just had it rebuild with the latest version of CentOS 6.0 and more importantly my server hosts (eapps) had a new control application which helped with uploads as the old I had to upload one file at a time.

There wasn't much on it only a developer blog and some instructions plus a very early copy of the game.

I decide to start again since the UI had a major rework and the database plus php is easy to reload.

As soon as I have something I intend to post here as an example of HTML5 development.

I will send you a message when its up since your someone whose opinion I would very much value.

It has the dns of www.ironagegames.com at the moment since that is the historical era I am aiming for but like I said its just a blank page till properly mid Janurary when I should have something - thanks for the interest.

8. dmal

dmal New Member

2.5D / 3D HTML5 engines, Browsers, and 3D games and Construct2

Thanks in advace for any ideas, at all
    on any of this stuff below!

I am a total noob.
    I am doing tutorials for learning html5.
    I got the little ball bouncing in the canvas, anyway.

I can do 3d models with Blender.

Do you remember the game DESCENT?
    It had complete 3D omnidirectional multi-axis movement.
    My goal is to make a game that gives the player
    this same impression of vertigo,
    by either full 3D or else to emulate it some way.

Which engine would you recommend?
    CAAT
    Canvex
    Sarien.net interpreter
    Unity3D
    silverlight 5
    XNA
    Cloudmach
    Silverlight Balder 3D
    Silverligth JigLibX
    Game-maker html5
    Construct2

QUESTIONS GROUP 1:
    How can a complete noob with nearly zero scripting experience
    learn to make a 3D or 2.5D game in html5?
    Examples, spacegoo maze, bjork.com, Quake, that webGL spaceship thingy, etc.

Can Construct2 potentially emulate first-person real-time 2.5D rendering?

If not, can you suggest an engine for this?

How about using cut-scenes to emulate the player movement in a 3D environment (in Construct2 or another engine) ???

My game will be a first-person, point-and-click game with 3D models, and 2.5D or 3D animation. I plan a very simple 1 level game, but I am a noob.

The point-and-click seems possible,
    but how best to learn/develop 1 of these features?
    a.) single axis 2D rotation real-time 3D rendering. (like tank, or spacegoo)
    b.) multi axis 3D movement. (like DESCENT )
    c.) single origin 3D rendering (like bjork.com)

Which engine would be best for using a bunch of cut-scenes to emulate real-time 3D rendering?
    For example, the player is facing a control-panel, and then turns to the right, and there is a cut-scene that shows the 3D camera pan around a 3D model environment. Its full 3D animation, but its a cut-scene.

Thanks for any ideas on any of this stuff!

p.s. I had an additional question asking for a method to discern my head from my anus, but I've found a tutorial to help with that one.

#8 dmal, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. Amirai

Amirai New Member

Theoretically a game like that might be possible in construct 2, but only through doing a lot of work in javascript to make a custom plugin, as construct 2 was designed as a 2D game creation tool. Construct classic, construct 2's predecessor, is also a 2D tool though, and it was able to have a 3D plugin made for it, so l'm confident it's possible, though I'm not sure of what quality is possible rendering to canvas without webGL (C2 can use both, but IE does not support webGL). The only examples I've seen of 3D without webGL have looked kind of PS1-era, without perspective correction on textures.

Regardless, it would be a lot easier to do 3D in another tool that was made for it, like unity or some such.

10. dmal

dmal New Member

Thank you. Amirai.
    I found a nice features matrix list of "engines" & libraries for non-flash web games.
    https://github.com/bebraw/jswiki/wiki/Game-engine-feature-matrix

They also have a list with license type, short description, etc.
    https://github.com/bebraw/jswiki/wiki/Game-Engines

Unity3D ranks high overall! I don't want to use a plug-in, though.

An interesting "engine" is Canvex. They made a 3D proof-of-concept without WebGL, but also without texture-perspective-correction (as you observed), or so it seems to my untrained noob eye. I've got my webGL disabled, and it "runs" fine.
    http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/83/play.xhtml

I have some ideas to eschew all 3D rendered textures. I'm going to have a game like Myst, so I'll either draw/paint any needed textures on the point-and-click screens, and just have the game look like Max Headroom (no textures at all) during the animated 3D segments. Its my first game, anyway.

Can anybody post links to other threads/forums like this one?
    Where there is discussion/brainstorming and/or a survey of web game engines?

You guess I should dive into Unity3D,
    and worry about a non-plugin port, later?

Or, you guess I should go forth trying to work with
    something like Canvex that's only in html5 and javascript?

How do you see the code of an html game when it is NOT obfuscated?
    Like on the Canvex game?

I want to show the game to people on their mobile devices,
    otherwise, I'd just work it up with Adventure Game Studio, you know?

By the by, here is the game I hope to find a minute to play.
    http://www.mattpelham.com/vii/

The 3D Spacegoo games don't look so much fun, but they look great!

cheers,
    Devon

11. JGOware

Indie Author

HTML5 is very capable under the right conditions, but there really is no <real> money in it yet. The chrome web store and html5 are 100% worthless unless you have a killer app.

12. GhostRik

Original Member

Nobody's mentioned the "Copper" series. CopperLicht if you want an HTML5/WebGL 3D library or CopperCube if you want a WYSIWYG HTML5/WebGL 3D game maker, which also outputs to Flash 11 and Win/Mac executables. CopperCube is like a *very* stripped-down Unity, but fun to play with.

http://www.ambiera.com/index.html