How to enable 15 min trial lock?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Indiepath, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

How to enable 15 min trial lock to your game? Of course I know how to get my game to calculate time during the game but I don't know how to save the value to somewhere so that user won't simply re-install the game and start their 15 min trial lock again.

2. MiCo Games

Indie Author

A simple way is to just write a value into the registry, and check if this value exists when the game starts. There are ways for a user to track which values change in the registry when a program is run, but casual players usually don't know this, so it should be fine...

3. Nemesis

Original Member

That is assuming a Windows target platform. If you're writing for a different OS, or planning to release on multiple platforms I would suggest sealing off the trial storage code (or whatever) in a library and have different implementations for each platform.

Then, in your game code you simply call the related function in the library.

4. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Hmm... registry sounds a bit scary to tweak and was hoping to get a ready-made-solution for this. I guess I could simply use files which are stored in /windows/ directory for example. Thanks for the replies.

5. Dominique Biesmans

Indie Author

you could, but that would make it impossible for a non Administrator to run the game (since a regular user doesn't have read and certainly not write rights on the /windows/ tree). On Win9x you might be allright.

You should use something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" to store files that are common to all users. (Note: don't harcode this path but use SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() with CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA)

6. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

There are functions which can check where windows system (or similar) directory is located. I think I'll use that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

7. Dominique Biesmans

Indie Author

yes, the SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() function I told you about does exactly that. You'd just have to pass CSIDL_SYSTEM instead.

_But_ /windows/system isn't the place where you should store such files, and any user playing your game that isn't an adminstrator doesn't have access rights in /windows/system, meaning your game won't run for such a user.

8. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Ok. Thanks.