How to create a flash games portal?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by whisperstorm, Nov 1, 2008.

1. whisperstorm

Original Member

I've seen so many of these and I know I could do something quite a bit better in terms of presentation and style. Does anyone know "how" to create one of these flash games portals? Do you have to go to each flash game developer and get permission? I'm curious about the process one has to go through.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Forgot the name, but there are packages that come with the full script to mantain the site and like 1000+ licensed games (all totally crap of course).

3. andrew

andrew New Member

4. oldschool

Original Member

If you want a game that is distributed by mochiads or gamejacket you just download a zip file and host it. If its sponsored then you maybe able to offer a seconday license or at worst get the branded game from the primary sponsor.

I have a question for you whisperstorm, what kind of hosting would be nessasry to run a flash arcade?

Ps. since your a web programmer this isn't for you.

Here is the begining of a tutorial of a making a wordpress arcade for those interested
    http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2008/07/20/creation-of-a-flash-arcade-site-using-wordpress/

5. whisperstorm

Original Member

I've heard of the BigFish and Reflexive sites. I'm just wondering how all these sites pop up with tons of games and little or no design. How can it be so easy?

6. Bad Sector

Original Member

These sites focus on the games, not on the site design. You don't want people with slow connections wait for your site to load before the plugin gets a chance to make a call to the web server.

As on making a site with webgames, well its very easy. All you need is a web server (obviously), a site design (should be lightweight) and a tool to make the site. While you can make the .html files by hand, it might be tedious, so you probably need to automate it a bit. Personally i recommend using some sort of offline site generation tool instead of PHP or other server side solutions because the pages will be static anyway (you can use iframes with CSS for the dynamic parts, like highscores) and if your site becomes popular (and you want this), you'll won't strain your server as much as if you used a totally dynamic method.

Reflexive and BigFish don't make their games themselves (only a few maybe); they get the games by others. You can use FlashGameLicense to get games.

If you make such a web site, i would also recommend you to add Java support too :)

7. Pyabo

Original Member

Do either of these offer a revenue split with the host?

8. whisperstorm

Original Member

Let's say there are 50 or so flash games that you think are cool and you want to have them in your portal. How do you go about getting them? I mean do you contact each publisher and get rights? Is there some game aggregator like mochi that folks use to get games? Or do some of these sites just lift the swf's and re-host them?

I want to do this the "right" way - and someone mentioned having long load times, I think you can have a nice design while keeping the load times down as well.

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

10. Bad Sector

Original Member

@whisperstorm:
    Of course you can, its just few people have the craftsmanship to do it, so its rare to see both lightweight and good design :)

To find games, visit FlashGameLicense as said twice here. If you want a specific game, then the game itself usually has links either to the site back or the developer. Contact either of them and you'll get information.

11. KNau

Original Member

It depends what kind of Flash portal you want to run. If you want to be a "first run" portal then you'll need to shell out some cash to bid for exclusive or semi-exclusive games, as has been illustrated with FlashGameLicense.com.

The other (more common) option is the quick n' dirty portal where you cram a million games onto a domain and hope to monetize the traffic. To do this you simply take the games from other portals or mochiads - most offer embed codes or other provisions to do this.

No the revenue is not split. The developer keeps the revenue from Mochi-ads, that's why they let you take the game for free. It's the same as taking branded games from other portals - they benefit from the traffic you provide.

Your job as the portal owner is to monetize the site around the games and then to automate the process.

12. whisperstorm

Original Member

Thanks everyone for the great responses! This is very valuable information.

13. oldschool

Original Member

from mochi faq

Again grab the zip files from mochi, gamejacket or bid on the games a http://www.flashgamelicense.com/

14. Pyabo

Original Member

Hmmmm... does "publisher" == host here? Seems to be... but that's an odd choice of words.

15. JoKa

Indie Author

What do you think would be the problems here? I guess one major issue is being kicked by Google because of duplicate content. But if someone is willing to invest time and replace the default text, add reviews and stuff, couldn't this be a base to get started without too much technical trouble?

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Unless you have original flash games, I think will be hard to get any traffic on it. Reviews... of what games? some are so banal that would be hard to write 3 lines about it.
    I honestly think you'd better spend time to develop quality original games like rocksolidarcade. One game like that and you'll make more than 1000 of those all clones crappy flash games.

17. Spore Man

Indie Author

DO not use the "1000 Fla$h Gamez" packages. The people who put together those scripts don't get permission from authors. They just grab whatever they can and if someone complains, then they remove the game, but it's still a big mix of authorized and non-authorized content.

18. KNau

Original Member

It's actually a smart business move to start this way. The share of money on the developer side (even for the successful ones) is laughable compared to what the publishers rake in. Starting as a game publisher (or in this case aggregator) will give you a far better education than starting as a developer would.

If I were in the Flash portal business I would use the JayIsGames model. Just set up a Wordpress blog, find a good template (if you don't know CSS) and start posting games. If you can niche it (ie. Tower Defense style games) then even better.

Not to be argumentative but the same could be said for the Big Fish Games library.

19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I didn't mean the flash games that for example you can find on Kongregate, those are cool. But those very quick flash games made in 2h that usually comes with those pre-made packages.

20. JoKa

Indie Author

When I followed your link, I tried a game in the demo section which was definitely not made in hours or a few days. Doesn't say anything about the majority of games, of course. The point about licence problems is a strong argument against it, too.

Just wondering, isn't this a bit risky, since you're absolutely dependent from the service provider?

#20 JoKa, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008