How much would be needed for an investment?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jan Miraflor, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Jan Miraflor

Jan Miraflor New Member

How much would game developers and designers need for an investment to start their project? I'm also sure it really depends on the developers and designers, but would $3000-$5000 be enough? Or is that not a lot?

2. FreakoutGames

FreakoutGames New Member

It also depends on the scale and type of project. The budget can be managed if proper planning is done :)

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

What is your goal? A commercial dev. house will budget 10K per month per team member (that includes overhead). If this is a hobby then there are lots of folks who would help you spend 5K. If it's a business you should go in with your eyes wide open and a plan.

Joel Zachariah likes this.
  4. noahbwilson

Indie Author

$0. I need $0.

Time is everything.

Marketing the finished product on the other hand ... that's a whole other mess.

5. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

You're wrong. To spend time working on any project, you need to pay for food, rent, Internet service, softwares, etc.. This is far from equal to $0.

6. noahbwilson

Indie Author

So you're assuming I don't have a day job. I've made 10+ games in my spare time. I guess the only thing I actually paid for to make these games was $20/software and $100 to Apple... so no, not $0.

But not $3000-$5000. That's insane.

This whole idea of "kickstarter" or whatever to make a game baffles the crap out of me. Get a job. Pay your bills. Make your game. Quit crying. (that was not directed at you, just at all those people who go "please help me make my game. I have no money.")

7. noahbwilson

Indie Author

I can say that if I wanted to make a new game right here right now ... it would cost me $0.

8. kevintrepanier

What I'm saying is : Living expenses (and salaries) should be accounted for, and most of the time it's the biggest part of a business.

9. kevintrepanier

Not everyone is in your privileged situation for making a game. I make games in my spare time too but I'm fully aware that working part-time I'll have a hard time making my business grow. $3000-$5000 is actually a ridiculously low budget for most games.

10. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Please don't call me 'privileged'. I worked for what I have. Others should too.

11. kevintrepanier

I'm sure you do. But to have a full-time job and be able to work on your games in your spare time without worrying about money is already a privilege in itself (nothing wrong about that). Everyone has a different situation and a different set of responsibilities. My girlfriend currently works full-time and I take care of the house and kids. I work on my games as much as I can and it currently can't amount to much more than 10-12 hours a week. I consider myself privileged to be able to do it like that now even though we had to make sacrifices for that and money is often very tight.

Really it's not against you Noah. I just want to stress the fact that making a game is hard, long and CAN be expensive. There's nothing crazy about $3k to $5k for making a game. Actually it's a ridiculous amount of money if you account for every day life expenses and / or salaries.

12. SLotman

I think most have been said already - but there is another factor at work: location. Depending on what part of the world you are, your costs may vary - a lot.

For example, min. wage here in Brazil is something like $300. A decent programmer would get something around US$1.5k / month.

As the poster said - it is $3k-5k to start a project. Depending where in the world people are, that could indeed be a viable ammount - but for a whole game, it is a really low budget - and although not impossible, the game quality will suffer for it, if thats all there is for funding.

13. Orymus

Orymus New Member

Bit late to the party but, while 3-5k isn't 'much', it depends on the project, and especially, how much you're hoping to 'own'.

That'd be a rev-share of about 2-3% on one of my current productions, which could be sizeable in the end, far exceeding original repayment.
    Everything is relative, obviously.

14. Joel Zachariah

Joel Zachariah New Member

I think it all boils to the scale of the project and size of the team. If you're looking at a two man team from Latin America who are making a cute match the tile game then yes, you could say the quoted amount would be enough. But change the locations and that amount could vary without even altering the scale of the project.

15. rayparse

rayparse New Member

It may vary on what type of gaming project it is. I have read that a broad gaming apps has been estimated to costs between $6,000 - $250,000.

16. tmcarey

tmcarey New Member

This is also sorta the case for me. Working part-time and going to uni full-time, I don't have the money to spend on licenses and development software, so I instead designed my own, which required a lot of time. In the end, I put $0 into the applications themselves. However, I easily spent over $2,000 on webserver costs and (provisional) patents, which will end up costing me roughly $12,000 by the end of the year.

It really depends on what you're doing. You can save a lot of money by spending more time and learning to do everything by yourself.