how many of you have been turned down by steam?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Purplefacegames, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

BigB if they say no I'd be heaps surprised.

Got to work the systems that work for you, so plan around the fact that certain places will say no, and then market as hard as you can for the places that will.

Since this isn't feedback I'll make no judgements, but you can see some games would be a perfect fit for steam and make you go "WTF WHY NOT!!!" and others make you go "yeah, makes sense".

2. Borundin

Borundin New Member

Yes, I got turned down by Steam when submitting Heavy Hogur. I half expected that would happen but was still sad to get the reply. Later GamersGate and Impulse did pick it up which made me feel a little better.
    I might try submitting again now with the new Editor available.

3. jcottier

jcottier New Member

> how many of you have been turned down by steam?

Probably everyone who isn't on Steam :)
    So a lot of people.

JC

4. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Find someone who can do fully painted illustrations. Have them repaint the logo, characters, and whole scene in their own style with influence from your game's design (similar anatomy of the characters for example, but not based fully on the 3d models). The stronger your cover art the better. You shouldn't give specifics, but ask them to re-imagine the cover art being better, have them do a few sketches with ideas based on their own creativity and pick the one you think will work out the best. Doing this will probably help your your iOS sales too!

5. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

We've been turned down twice :-D

I've heard from several others that Steam usually takes their decisions as final. So if true, I would not be too pushy and spammy trying again and again - simply because they might get tired of you and ignore you once you actually have a title they like.

But its really hard to know what kind of games they are actually looking for *sigh* Asked directly the answer was "we do not disclose our selection process"

/Thomas

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Lol, this is rather easy. Just check regularly their top10. As I already posted, if you make a GOOD:
    - Tower Defense
    - Real Time Strategy
    - Arcade / Puzzle
    - Strategy / Simulation game
    - won a special prize on IGF (or better won the IGF!)
    you have very good chances to be picked it. I think that what they're looking for is quite similar to Flash games you can find on Kongregate. There was a game Sword & Soldiers that used almost same mechanic as a flash game (that I forgot the name, bah).

7. Nexic

Indie Author

They either want big budget stuff, unique quirky stuff, or stuff with zombies.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Haha yes true zombie! how I could forget. Adding a zombie in your game increases your chances by +25%.
    (must make a game with zombies now)

9. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

Heh - thats what we thought too. We made a tactical survival TBS with zombies - and still got rejected.