how many of you have been turned down by steam?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Purplefacegames, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Purplefacegames

Purplefacegames New Member

Hey

Bit bummed my game subject 80 just got turned down by steam, ( they responded with in a week wich makes me at least think they are nice) and was wandering how many of you have gone through that heart stopping Email Read?

I have D2D and Gamers Gate lined up, and are still awaiting their yeses or no's and unfortunutley Steam were not the first to turn down my game, as impulse has said no to it aswell, i was expecting a few turn downs of my game, and understand that their are still opertunities besides those to portals, but it is a bit disheartning when you get your hopes up on a game that you spent 1000's of hours crafting just to get blown down in a week within going gold.

How many of you have experienced this, and what is your advice for the next steps in where i should take my game, or should i just proceed onto the next project with my chin held high, and my expectations low?

2 cents any one?

cheers

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

We had Great Little War Game punted by them, which gutted me. It has a metacritic of 84% and that was thrown lower than it should've been according to one review that marked us down due to iPad 2 crashing issues - long since fixed but they didn't honour their promise to fix the score. If they gave us the average of the rest we'd crack 90% in total.

It's a tactical wargame that's not too deep. It has 15,000 user reviews of 4.5/5 on iOS and several 100% scores from such Gods as TouchArcade.

So:

Quality: Check
    PC Friendliness: Check
    Right demographic: Check
    Submit to Steam: Fail

EDIT: Make available for BMT affiliates: Check (soon)

I wouldn't make any plans that rely on getting on Steam. Seeing some of the games that don't make the cut and worse, seeing some of the shite that did, they're clearly random and you can't run a business that way. Target another platform and maybe make a PC version if its easy after the fact.

3. papillon

Indie Author

Being picked up by big sites is likely to be useful, but unless you're actually working for those big sites directly you can't guarantee that they will carry your game. Lots of games don't get onto Steam. Lots of games don't get onto Steam on the first try but get on later when they pick up enough buzz. All is not lost, but don't count on it - you can't count on any sales outlet you don't control!

That also covers non-PC platforms, of course. Making a game for iOS and then being turned down by Apple sucks much harder than being turned down by Steam. :)

4. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, I've been refused by Steam too... this time I actually expected it, since my game is not their turf anyway.

I do have something lined up, so no loss. But counting on being accepted by any service is a risk not worth taking. And getting rejected does hurts, but it's normal; it's all business after all.

5. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

If your game is good just keep trying. Improve it, show them sales stats, sell them on why they would want to give your game some space on their front page. You have to think: why did they reject your game? What could you improve to make the decision easier for them to approve it?

It took us months and many e-mails to get our game on Steam - almost a year after release.

Getting on Steam does not at all guarantee sales. If your game is bad or looks bad then no one will take a chance with buying it.

Paul, the logo of your game at least on the site is not strong enough. You should hire a really great artist to do a fully painted version (someone not on your team). First impressions are extremely important.

6. manicmilkman

manicmilkman New Member

i think it's cool you got refused- i don't think i ever got a reply to submissions one way or another.

7. SiXX

SiXX New Member

Mine got reject too. But my friend who got his game sold well on steam says that it still has potential.
    May be if the game can create enough buzz, good reviews and good sale stats.

To Purplefacegames,
    Additional to the logo (as CasualInsider suggested), you need to rework your website too.
    What's the purpose of empty banner area on the top? And there's next to none info of your game in the home page.
    It's not attracting.

8. GDI

GDI New Member

Get on >>

http://www.indiecity.com/

BTW I'm not affiliated with them. It's just that these are probably the only people who will accept my upcoming game as a first-time unknown.

Looking just at the trailers of Subject 80, it looks like the dime-a-dozen FPS already on Steam, maybe that's why they rejected it. You're an unknown, so it's expected.

9. Applewood

Our artist is actually pretty good but I think I can probably take the blame here as that's what I asked for - something simple and easy to read. Do you have a suggestion on what would do better please?

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

/raises hand
    I honestly don't get people that put all their eggs in one basket though. Unless you're making a very top-notch game really targeted at Steam (a tower defense, 3d FPS, big strategy game, etc) you have ZERO guarantee to get on it. I know many very famous/topseller titles that didn't get in it, like Democracy 2, Gemini Rue for example.
    The sooner you start building your mailing list/traffic to your OWN SITE and (the forbidden word) SELL DIRECTLY, the sooner you're able to self-sustain. I'll keep submitting my games to Steam and think about it as a "nice bonus". If I get into Steam OK, otherwise no problem, I can survive on my own. I don't think Spiderweb (or Cliff for that matter) will go bankrupt if his next game won't be on Steam, and knowing some devs who rarely post here direct sales figures makes me laugh whenever someone says "ah on PC if you don't get on Steam, you don't sell a copy"... :big rolleyes:

11. RichHW

RichHW New Member

Yep - we've been turned down too.

Bummer :(

12. electronicStar

Original Member

I've watched the trailer for "subject 80" and the pitch sounds like "shoot the little girl and be free or don't shoot the little girl and stay in jail", that looks a bit gimmicky, without having further info on the gameplay

13. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Well, the opposite could always be true. Valve could put every game that's thrown at them on Steam and you could be fighting for exposure. However, I think Steam is Brand focused. After watching that interview with Gabe I'm willing to bet that game submissions are played by a few people around the office. If you tag your game properly then someone who likes the genre will pick up your game and play it.

Maybe GLWG wasn't picked up by the right person. If I were Paul, I'd call them back and say "Hey: this game is getting great reviews and making hand over fist in cash, are you sure you don't want any of this?" Maybe in a couple years you can add in-store items like TF2 does and add GLWG to the F2P section of Steam.

Jack makes a great point though. Making a game and then hoping to get picked up (and featured) by a major portal is like going out and spending a lot of money on lottery tickets. The problem is that direct sells and building your own customer base is a dirty four letter word: Work.

If there were something wrong with the GLWG site, I'd say that there weren't enough community/customer building elements. You want social proof that people enjoy this game. User submitted video-of-the-day (via YouTube)? How about auto-cycling those reviews on the main page? When you do get direct sales up and running, make sure to have access to player forums.

As for Subject 80? I watched the trailer on your site (both of them). The game is missing a lot of character. In the art, gameplay, story telling, etc... The trailers you made won't sell your game. I think there's a couple threads around here about trailers for games. Good luck.

14. Applewood

I actually did surprise myself by getting them to look again at it. And exactly as you said - pointed out its making money, got nearly a million players etc. We even promised the addition of multiplayer. That was six weeks ago and have heard nothing back.

Your other points are all well taken about the site and stuff, thanks.

15. RichHW

RichHW New Member

Remorse is spelt wrong on the 80 trailer

16. Desktop Gaming

I never even got a reply from steam.

17. princec

Indie Author

We were rejected from Steam several times until they changed their minds thanks to Brian, to whom we are permanently indebted with gratitude.

Otherwise - hey Purpleface dude, you are in Tiverton, literally down the road from me (Taunton) - fancy meeting up for a few ciders and you can hear my caustic musings in person?

Cas :)

18. BigB

BigB New Member

I'm going to send my game to steam in a week or so, but the game is not out yet, so no reviews to point to them, altough it was picked by many news sites, interview at destructoid, showed up at rockpapershotgun.
    The game site is here : www.geminiwars.com , it has trailers, gameplay videos etc.., any advice I could get before contacting them would be welcome.

Good luck to everyone else that is waiting that Yes mail.

19. RichHW

RichHW New Member

Who is this Brian? He sounds ace...

20. princec

Indie Author

Brian Kramer, Subsoap. We're helping him out now :)

Cas :)