How many games have you played in your life

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by tolik, Jan 14, 2009.

1. tolik

Original Member

Nexic raised an interesting subject -ability to distinct games that are worth it.

Please post how many games you've played in your life.

--

It's actually hard for me to tell what I've played, I remember having hundreds of Atari 8bit games (as each tape had like 20 of them), hundreds of NES (I still remember 100+ original Famicom carts I had to go through to test some cheat device), SNES, Genesis, Arcades, etc ... etc ... etc and when I try to sum it up, including recent years with emulation-related projects, casual games, IGF & indie games, Flash games, each XBLA game... Will that number reach 10,000 games? I dunno, but I think I'm close.

Which is my favorite platform? I think I prefer SNES over Genesis.

2. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

Neat - but remember you can also host that counter-argument that the less exposure you've had, the more original your ideas will be. (musicians make this claim all the time) :)

I don't think I agree with that, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Man, I started young and never stopped. Consoles, PCs, worked 5 years at an arcade with free plays....god I miss the arcade days. At least a couple thousand and counting...

3. DodongoXP

DodongoXP New Member

i havent played that much individual games... but i used to play the same games insanely number of times hahahaha

i think i have played many diferent games... but not that much,10000 games are just a lot..on my side maybe 200 diferent games in my life

i was mostly a snes fanboy hehehehe

my most played game in my life i think its mario world then followed by mario 3

i would say my most played games..

super mario world
    mario 3 ( original and mario all stars version)
    zelda a link to the past
    mario 2 ( original and mario all stars version)
    star fox 64
    star fox
    zelda 1

so pretty much my most played games are nintendo intelectual property hahaha as you may guess with my username lol

:)

4. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

I just tried finding a lovely quote I heard to the effect that the history of music consists of people copying each other but getting it slightly wrong.

That's the gist of it, anyway.

5. KNau

Original Member

God, that's almost impossible to count...in the thousands for sure.

I was a Commodore boy (PET at school, then Vic20, C64 and finally Amiga). I think my favorite is the Commodore 64 but that could just be nostalgia factor because that's the platform that dominated most of my youth.

I do miss arcades, though - back when gaming was a real social activity and not just geeks cursing at each other over headsets. You actually had to go outside (often to a shady part of town) and *gasp* occasionally meet people.

The arcade also enforced a nerd / real-person balance because if you were too dorky the teenage pool players would beat you up :) Good times!

6. Pyabo

Original Member

Interesting question!

I would have to be in the 2000-4000 range, I think. Although most of that would certainly be from age 6-24. I've definitely played very few games in the last decade compared to my early years. Unfortunately, I kept buying games long after I stopped playing a lot. :p So I have stacks and stacks of PC, Xbox, and PlayStation games that never got put in the CD drive.

7. Acord

Acord New Member

Thousands and thousands... Started young, kept going, then played everything on every emulator ever. I really don't play the most modern stuff - it's all re-hashed crap as far as I can tell, with the exception of Portal.

8. Scharlo

Original Member

Back in 80's my Spectrum library had over 2000 games at one point. Amiga came close to 1000 as well, so it must be quite a few.

9. KNau

Original Member

I've been trying to figure out if that's just my imagination. Certainly there were more genres of games back then and more variation in control schemes, but were they being more original / creative?

10. Nexic

Indie Author

Been playing games for about 15 years. In the early days I probably played one new game per day on average. In the later 7 years I probably played at least 2 per day. That works out as about 9,000.

11. jefferytitan

Original Member

2 per day? How do you find the time? I hope they're mostly free or shareware demos, because if you're buying 2 brand new games a day you should be sending me money for... uh... I'll think of a reason later. ;)

12. Acord

Acord New Member

I think more creativity was required to work around the constraints placed on them by the hardware. Today there are fewer limitations, so there are accepted and encouraged ways of doing things. Gamers are also not interested in learning new control schemes or gameplay mechanics, since the ones they've already had to memorize are so complicated that it's cruel not to standardize them.

13. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Somewhere between a few thousand and a hundred gabillion zillion.

14. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't pirate games so I can only claim to have played probably a hundred or so.

15. JoshuaSmyth

Original Member

I'd estimate 500-800 ish.

Its almost temping for me to try and list them all :)

16. ripitkyle77

ripitkyle77 New Member

I haven't played zelda in years. zelda on original nintendo was the best!

17. Coyote

Indie Author

Hundreds, if not thousands. I have no idea how many, really.

Back in the 80's I'd go to the arcades and play a dozen different games in a single day. (Then go home and try to clone my favorites on my C-64... never did a good job, but it was a good learning experience).

I still end up playing an average of one new game a week, between trying out new web-based games or the latest indie games or demos, to brand new PC or console games I pick up every once in a while (hey, it happens...)

18. mmakrzem

Original Member

In 2001 I started keeping a database of my PC games. One of the fields in my database is date of completion. Looking at my data, I see I have finished 163 games