How long to get approved for the Reflexive Store Front?

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by 2dnoob, Jul 25, 2007.

1. 2dnoob

Original Member

It's been over 2 weeks, no reply. I've sent emails, etc, no replies. Any tips, help? Thanks!

2. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Typically it is very fast (I believe you are talking about being approved as an affiliate for GameCenterSolution?). PM me with your email and I'll hunt down where it is at. With the conference last week we did all get a little behind, but 2 weeks sounds like a long time. Apologies :).

3. 2dnoob

Original Member

PM Sent, thanks! I guess this thread can be removed then, sorry. ;)

4. black_vada

black_vada New Member

I just tried signing up for the affiliate program from reflexive. However, it seems like a website is required. Do I need to have a functional website setup before I can sign up or can I just buy a blank domain name and then sign up.

Also if I wanted to use the Store Front affiliate is it possible to not buy a domain name? If so then how would I sign up to the affiliate program?

And one last question, if I use a Store Front affiliate program and I were to do some advertising to increase my google rank, would this work because I would be on the reflexive server so any advertising to improve my google rank should just bump their rank right?

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks. :)

5. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

To make the most of the program, you do really need your own domain. I think that nullifies some of the other questions you had.

The store front is alright for the short term, but I really recommend making a more custom website on your own domain with your own hosting to get the most out of the affiliate program. There is is an XML feed that you can use to get all of the game content, which allows for very customized websites.

If you want, you can run the iframe instead of using the feed or the WDK (website development kit), but I strongly recommend the WDK (and it can be used to create customized websites fairly easily).

To make the most of being an affiliate, it's worth the time it takes to make a great website (and advertise it).

6. black_vada

black_vada New Member

I understand this fact and I just wanted to test out the system thats why I don't have a domain name. I will buy a domain name soon and will set up my own website. Can you please answer one more question for me...

What level of XML skills do I need to know to be able to work with the XML feeds. I am an aspiring game developer and am currently learning Java. I know HTML, CSS, ActionScript and a little APS/C++. However, I have never touched upon XML. Will I need to be fluent with XML to be able to use the reflexive program to its maximum capability? Thanks again.

7. Spore Man

Indie Author

You're going to build up traffic to a sales-only site from scratch? That's quite a challenge. Most people use the affiliate system to monetize existing traffic.

8. black_vada

black_vada New Member

I plan on building up traffic slowly while I develop my first game. Hopefully by the time I am done with my game the traffic to my website will have been built up and will allow me to have a good start.

9. ChrisP

Indie Author

If you can program and know HTML already, XML is dead simple. Validation complicates it a little bit, and some of its applications (especially the more enterprise-y ones) are rather complicated, but merely reading an XML feed (using an existing XML library of course, because you're being sensible and not reinventing the wheel) is easy-peasy.

You will of course need to do some CGI programming so you can have a dynamic website (e.g. using PHP, but you can use almost any language).

10. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

I'm wondering if it's possible to insert a game I've developed into an otherwise affiliate site? I'm imagining two or three of my own titles with a series of links to games in the same category. I'd bring traffic to the site, advertise my own games, and rely on Reflexive to provide additional content. It would also be a good way to cross-advertise other indie projects that haven't yet made it to Reflexive.

I suppose if this is my plan, I better join their affiliate program now before the web is flooded.

Or just write a great game, get it on Reflexive, and let their affiliates bring me business.

11. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

You should be ok. If you don't want to use the XML feed directly, there is a website development kit that already has PHP libraries and .html templates to make the XML feed into a simple templated site. The website development kit is downloadable from the control panel once you are a member of the program. All you need at that point it HTML knowldge and you can customize your site to your liking in under a day.

12. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Sure :)
    You could do either or both.
    I worked with my brother in adding the affiliate program to his website for BC Soft. (see the seek and find section) I liked that particular approach because it focused on games that his customers were already interested in. He has been selling a good number of them, providing some secondary income while working on the next game.

Another example is Harmonic Flow. Their game, Jig Art Quest, is always featured on their website and they additionally sell from the entire catalogue of Affiliate games.

I think you could take either approach, pushing out a specific set of games or the whole catalog, and you will see additional traffic. How much traffic depends on you, but the affiliate program does set you up nicely to have a lot of easily accessible and dynamic content.

13. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

Thanks Russell. Wow. This opens up a whole slew of options.

14. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Cool :)
    Glad to be of help!