How long does it take to learn unity 3d

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Metiss, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Metiss

Metiss New Member

Hi,

I have been meaning to start learning and designing games in unity for about a year now but can't start just because of the fear that people have told me its very difficult and takes a lot of time to learn? Is this true. I really need to learn fast. I am well versed with java and objective C and i want to make mobile games. Can u suggest me some way in which i learn unity 3d fast and create games..

thanks for advice!

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

The unity site has some really nice tutorials and when you download the engine it comes with a sample project that you can learn from as well. If you are well versed with java, then I think you could pick it up pretty quickly. You wont know until you try! :)

3. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Learning Unity is fast. There are many tutorials online. I've been learning it during many months while developing many game prototypes. It's also really quick to prototype. You can get results fast. My concerns are not about the speed to learn Unity, but to build a game. Although it's easy to program with Unity, making a game is usually a long process. Since Unity is widely used, when I have a problem, I type it in a search engine and I find the solutions on forums most of the time (99%). I haven't learned everything before beginning my game. I search problems and solutions along the way.

4. Metiss

Metiss New Member

@GaiaDreamCreation

I recently created a 2d game in sprite kit for apple app store and i planning to make a part 2 of the same game in unity since this game is 2d and i think 3d games are more inn these days in app store and google play.. plus i can port it in both these platforms. How long do u think i will be able to make this game in? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/monster-chopper-combat-copter/id918913277?ls=1&mt=8

5. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

It's hard to tell about the time it will take. I estimate around a few weeks based on the screenshots. I haven't played the game, so my analysis is more a feeling than a detailed estimate.

Concerning the 2D/3D, I disagree with your point of view. 3D games are certainly inn, but we have to be careful with this aspect. 2D games are great. It's also better to have a 2D game with very nice artwork than a 3D game that looks unpolished. The most popular games are not necessarily in 3D and don't have the latest 3D graphics. They are polished and use good game mechanics. My latest advice is to pay attention to the artwork and not trading the 2D for 3D thinking it will automatically be better.

6. Metiss

Metiss New Member

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice.. actually we are pretty new in the business and we work in a team of 2 only. I have a friend who does the artwork and I do the coding.. what do you suggest looking at our artwork.. do we need to improve or hire other people to do the art.. if yes.. can you make a suggestion on someone you use urself for art.. We are sort of new in this business and still improving.. Also i had one more question.. how long does it take to make a small single level game in unity.. if its 2D?

7. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Concerning the artwork, it's very relative and it's hard for me to do suggestions. There are successful games using minimal artwork and other games using all the fireworks. Making some variations and presenting your work to friends to get feedback is a good approach. Usually, a game is made with many iterations until we find a good style. The artwork is a very particular aspect. Like a musician or artist painter, you have to search for a style. It's kind of a journey.

Concerning the time to create a level, once again it's variable. It's generally not long to make, but making a good level might take a week in some cases depending on the game. Unity has a great editor to create a level and being able to see the results as we go. In a few hours, you get can results. If you want to polish, it may take days.

Good luck!