how do you promote your game?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by amilcojazz, Sep 20, 2010.

1. amilcojazz

Original Member

advertising, promotion, etc...for a little project on I-phone or an AD for Windows...two really differente fields. Who can write some simple little tip about this?

2. Four

Four New Member

on an iPhone you can make a lite version. Is your iPhone game already out?

Youtube video: at my job we tried this but it wasn't very useful.

3. j.klugmann

j.klugmann New Member

First, i am not a marketing-guru and i have not much experience in marketing related topics. This is only my own opinion.

You must discover the deeps of the internet. The internet is the keyword, it's the engine that can make your game famous, but it's also the engine that can make your game a bad public opinion. Be careful, try to write to smaller magazines or game-websites, maybe there is a small chance. Another good try is to write in big iPhone-community boards.

I think for an iPhone game it can be essential to have a demo version, but be careful with that. The demo version shouldn't be too big and it should show extendable components of the game. After the player had played the demo a little while, he should want to see the other features of the game. The game should provoke curiosity.

That's my little opinion.

Please forgive me my very bad english!

Greetings, Jesse

4. bdemon

bdemon New Member

I'd dive into some Marketing for Dummies and Guerrilla Marketing books (a bunch of articles here that might be worth checking out) for inspiration. It boils down to defining your target audience and figuring out how to get their attention. Teenage boys into shooting games...hang out in forums devoted to those games (not specifically to promote, but converse, share ideas then if they're curious they can click on your link), write a blog about them, etc.

Paid advertising tends to be negative, but it depends on the cost and the market. I got a good response selling my guitar lesson posters in the back of guitar magazines (exploring ideas outside of game audio). The ads ended up being too expensive, but they brought in sales.

You could also target bloggers and writers who review such products and get them to check out your stuff. They're a tricky bunch, sometimes in it for free stuff. But if you find someone who likes what you've got they'll go to bat for you, which could be great if they have followers.

Then there's community activities. These might not even be related to your product itself, such as donating time or money to a local cause or event. The payoff could be free promotion of your product or networking in the right circles with someone who could help you. ;)

5. JGOware

Indie Author

A wise man once told me marketing will take up 90% of your time after the game is finished. Sometimes it's better to outsource this and move on to the next game. But otherwise...

blogs, facebook, twitter, networking with other devs, cross promotion from other products, flash (lite) version, multi platform versions, affiliate systems, google adwords, advertise on popular software download sites, videos everywhere, give aways, pay what you want, etc.

6. Nexic

Indie Author

Flash mini-games are what generated the vast majority of my players. Next would be google ads and natural search engine rankings. Everything else probably accounts for less than 5%.

7. Makani

Makani New Member

I paid a couple of thousand dollars to a marketing company for my iPhone game. Didn't really help :(. Its a tough market, and it's all about luck: luck that Apple decides to feature you.

8. Vino

Vino New Member

Apple features you if you're already popular. It's the people that do the most PR groundwork that get features. Or at least that's what I've heard, there was a pretty good talk from the geo defense guy that I saw.

9. Makani

Makani New Member

Hmm; we actually spent a lot of money on PR, but didn't help. Just google "Red Card Rampage" and you'll get an idea. But dunno, maybe our PR company sucked (which it obviously did!).

10. vjvj

Indie Author

I don't think there are any "little tips" on how to market a game. Marketing is just as complicated as programming or design; you need to put the time in to learn the trade.

I would start with this post (if you want his answer to the Minecraft question, it's here). Then, go to this post and start reading!

It's going to take some time and effort, but that's a lot better than wasting money on advertising (which is not really marketing) without knowing what the hell you're doing and, consequently, accomplishing nothing for your game.

Despite the bullshit marketing guys have to take from us on a daily basis, if you take the time to study the craft it's actually a quite interesting and fascinating subject. I used to be the typical programmer who thought it was just lies and gimmicks, but now I realize it's actually more about human psychology and societal management. You will learn a lot.

Good luck!

11. amilcojazz

Original Member

Thankyou for replies and discussion guys I have many things to read now and some idea for promote my next game...

A question: Is the success of "ANGRY BIRDS" connected with his strong promotion? And if you say "yes" in what percentage?