HostGator upload problem

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Sybixsus, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Sybixsus

Original Member

I recently signed up for a basic shared server package with HostGator. I don't need much at the moment, and I've heard lots of good things about them. Then I've wasted all of today trying to upload a single file to their server, which I needed in order to begin beta testing my game.

Their support so far has been very prompt, and not very useful. "Use secure shell" is not a valid solution to "your FTP is broke" (I'm paraphrasing,obviously) in my opinion. Needlessly activating SSH for someone like me who knows almost nothing about it is downright silly, and completely unwarranted. Having insisted on them solving the FTP problem instead of pushing me off into something else, they've now managed to diagnose that it's a problem with my ISP. Apparently my ISP is dropping more packets than Norman Wisdom in a box factory.

The only problem with that conclusion is that I've just uploaded it to Rapidshare and Megaupload for free, and both worked just fine. Strangely, when I tried to diagnose the network problem myself, I found the packets were being dropped on theplanet.com which appears (surprise, surprise) to be part of the HostGator network. Not to mention that smaller files upload just fine. Apparently my ISP's network problem is picky about filesizes.

Anyway, I'm not really here to moan about HostGator - that just slipped out - I just wondered if anyone who uses HostGator has had any problems uploading today (or in the past, I guess) and can offer any suggestions. I really can't afford to waste more days sitting around doing nothing, even if it is fun. It's not a huge file, it's a little under 100mb, and it's a zip. I've tried enabling and disabling PASV in my FTP client (off my own bat, not because anyone at HostGator thought to suggest it ) but it hasn't made any difference. Every time the file gets to 100%, sits there for a few moments and then starts all over again. I've had no such problems uploading small files (eg: the website).

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I don't (didn't?) think it's necessarily a Hostgator problem, but I use a really old FTP client (an old WS FTP version). When I upload something over 4 MB, the file will finish but my general connection to their FTP has timed out. My ancient FTP client doesn't handle whatever situation it's now left in, so I need to forcefully shut it down and reconnect to continue (otherwise it'll lock up).

Not sure if this answers your question, but it's something. I've always assumed it'll fix itself once I start using a newer client. I only continue to use this old one because it saves my connections in local file, as opposed to the registry (meaning I can copy it between computers and not need to re-enter my connection details).

SSH access works well. We host Ludum Dare on a Hostgator account since the price is right. We update the site in a remote SVN repository, then simply connect via SSH and perform an SVN Checkout to bring the site up to date. We also have a sub-website/blog on the Ludum Dare website that tracks blogs of our community members. I recently set that one up so I can SVN Checkout the latest version of Wordpress whenever there's an update (making updating wordpresse insanely simple).

3. Sybixsus

Original Member

The trouble with support is you get a reply from a different person every time. They mentioned MaxIdle time of fifteen minutes in one email. I identified this as a possible solution and asked for more information, and instead they come back with a load of nonsense about packet loss.

I'm actually completely up to date, using the latest version of Ace FTP Pro. I'll try another FTP client though. This does actually sound like a logical reason for what I'm seeing. Everything HostGator have told me (with the exception of the guy who mentioned MaxIdle, before being usurped by another) doesn't.

Thanks for the tip.

4. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

Try Coreftp or FileZilla. I've used both when uploading files to Hostgator (and there was hundreds of them, including some well over 5MB). Let me know how you make out.

5. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Switch to LiquidWeb immediately. There's a link at the bottom of the forum. They are the only host I trust. All of those super cheap services oversell, and pretty much suck in many ways.

For big file, media, and other big file hosting use http://www.simplecdn.com/ they are the cheapest cdn service anywhere, and people will be able to download very quickly, and without the hassle of other services. Plus you won't inadvertently be supporting companies such as Rapidshare whose lifeblood is piracy file sharing.

If you use LiquedWeb for basic hosting and only serve plain text files on it, and then use SimpleCDN for media hosting, you probably won't ever need anything but the very basic web hosting. :)

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

Thanks guys. It looks like the timeout problem was the issue. I tried uploading with Filezilla instead, and it worked fine. I was pretty sure all the nonsense about dropped packets was just nonsense. I don't much care for Filezilla in general, but if I only have to use it for big uploads, it won't kill me.

7. Maupin

Original Member

I heartily recommend WinSCP. It does FTP and SSH, and in my opinion is much better than Filezilla. After I finally gave up on SmartFTP, I needed a new FTP program and WinSCP saved the day.

8. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

!!! I was having similar problems with a Hostgator Basic Account at one point and like you I went through multiple people...

I was about to give up and switch providers but one of their tech guys talked me into switching to a more expensive RESELLER ACCOUNT.

So now I pay more but I don't really have any complaints about the service anymore.

My reseller account is $25 a month I think. Maybe $20, I don't actually know. But yeah, your ftp is not "broke"! It's a hostgator problem... An HG support guy practically admitted to me that they overload the servers they put their basic accounts on. That's why they're so cheap.

If you ever give up and want a premium host - Tierranet is AWESOME, they have really skilled staff and it's run like a small company. (They're support guy actually helped my mom set up a store and all this stuff, going way beyond what I'd expect from any support guy.) But they're more expensive.
    I guess you get what you pay for.

But I've been happy ever since switching to a reseller account.

9. Sysiphus

Original Member

+1 for winscp (and putty)
    (though not sure on why scp may avoid the problem..am not too skilled in linux...)

I also use filezilla sometimes...

In the very old times, I used to have loads of problems with micro cuts done blatantly by providers.. I used to have always loaded keeping alive tools, that mostly were all the time pinging in a very special manner...other wise, going against contract, they'd produce continuous hangs.. not suffered from that in years, tho, in several providers.