Hitball. Looking for your opinions.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by itero, Apr 7, 2005.

1. itero

itero
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Currently, I’m in the state, when many ideas and features compete to become part of game. But some of them inevitable will rejected. Your advices can be very useful. I’ll be glad to hear your opinions (new ideas (mindstorm), critique of existing ideas, etc).

Working title of game - Hitball. Current version is 0.1. It’s based on brilliant PopCap Games Framework. Here is links to screenshots and game prototype:
    http://www.frametrix.com/prot/hitball_sshot1.jpg (20k)
    http://www.frametrix.com/prot/hitball_v0.1.exe (643k)

Using F1, F2 and F3 you can toggle example bonuses: Force, Light, Ghosts.

Some of the current ideas:
    • Skill. Calculate player’s skill based on total number of moves and kicked balls.
    • Ball’s perks. Bonuses, which changes ball’s behavior.
    • Color combos. Take into account sequences of equal kicked balls.
    • Different game modes: arcade, strategy, head2head (2 players)…
    • Bonus: Color Link. Balls with equal color moves simultaneously. When we hit red ball, all red balls moves together.

What about main game objects? Balls have many advantages. But balls are dead objects. What if replace them by fun animals? Yes, it’s harder to animate animals. But, I think, live heroes much interesting. Each animal is unique. It has own appearance, actions, sounds (meow, moo, whaf, etc). In addition, each player can choose his own animal… I think it will be interesting. But I’m still thinking…

Let’s return to balls. Why they have different colors? For example, each color can cause own sound effect when we hit it. Maybe it’ll be musical palette (7 colors - 7 notes)? Then we can add musical bonus (collect notes in right sequence to build melody). What if add destruction of balls (like ice)? Shining balls? Cloning of balls (or something like Biohazards in Atomica Deluxe)?

P.S. Do you know similar games?

2. Kaos

Kaos
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

game certainly has potential, has an "arcade lines" feel about it.

for starters when the driving ball "kicks" another ball, drop a momentary pic change to the driving ball. perhaps change it into a boot (or a foot, but cowboy boot would be kinda neat as well) as far as power ups go, perhaps a "frame" powerup, always keeping the driving ball in bounds for a limited amount of time. as far as sound effects go, i am quite fond of the zuma, "ball clack" sound.

will play it a bit more and see what i can do with my imagination as to improvement aspects.

In its present state, wouldnt make very much money. Nice use of the Popcap Framework though, I would like to see more projects based on this recently public framework.

3. itero

itero
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Thank you, Kaos. I like idea of “frameâ€￾ power-up.

Current list of bonuses (power-ups):
    1. Force. D-ball (driven ball) accelerate balls in X radius away from itself.
    2. Light Weight. Balls’ weight decreasing for X times.
    3. Ghosts. Balls disappears when d-ball touch them.
    4. Bounds (Frame). D-ball can’t leave table for X seconds. {thanks to Kaos}

1-3 are already presented in game. 4th will be added in version 0.2. What about adding several stages for bonuses with “Xâ€￾ symbol (i.e., low, medium, high)?

4. Kaos

Kaos
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Game players always want to be rewarded by flawless level plays (perfect scores, etc) and when rewarded by bonus rounds, always a good thing to entice sale of your game, many of the games I bought in the past were for the bonus level action play, NOT for the main game play feature, even though 90 % of the game is the same game play element and 10 % is what got me to fork out my credit card.

I like the idea of being able to buy extra power ups, as seen in the game "Mr. Figgles" (www.handyinteractive.com) using bonus round points to buy extra powerups would add something to the game as well.

I think a bowling type bonus round would work well with the physics of your game, as well as a 9-ball pool type bonus round (timed of course).

later in the game for a bonus round, offer the player a poker styled "double or nothing, beat the house's hand, game of blackjack" or something of this nature, use bonus game points as money to bet.

Also the ominous "power down" could be used in the game to add a bit more challenge.

Also add some color to the balls, this will really spice up the appearance. This way when a ball is kicked out of bounds, it will appear to spin off as effect of direct impact, vs now it just looks like it "moves" off the screen.

hmm and on a hard mode of the game add mines that are to not be hit by the "driver ball" this can make the game alot more challenging.

see what you can spin up from that input and I will be waiting .3b!

5. papillon

papillon
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

While you probably plan to change this anyway, I looked at that title and thought "Oh NO, a really uninspired breakout clone!" and backed off. :)

6. Kaos

Kaos
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

something like the name "Inertia Ball" if the name isnt already reserved.

or something simple like "Kick!"

but a catchy name wont sell your game, it could help, but cannot do it alone.