Help wanted: app developer to help port a game

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)' started by GolfHacker, May 31, 2013.

1. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

[Closed] Help wanted: app developer to help port a game

Hello,

I'm the owner and sole employee of My Game Company, a small independent developer who makes family-friendly games.

I'm looking to bring my flagship game, Fashion Cents Deluxe, to IOS/Android tablets. This is a dress-up puzzle game for girls, which my wife designed and I programmed for her. The game earned a place among the top 10 finalists in the 2004 Independent Games Festival, and was featured in the August 2005 edition of Parenting Magazine. The game appeals not only to younger girls but also women of all ages - even grandmothers, who remember playing with paper dolls as a girl. Because of that, Fashion Cents Deluxe has continued to sell fairly well over the years. But lately, I've been getting a lot of requests for a iPad/tablet version of the game. I was planning to do the port myself, but I have another project right now that demands my full attention. So I am looking for an IOS/Android developer to help me out.

The ideal candidate must have already published some games on IOS, which I can look up in the App store with my iPad. Since I'm a small developer with a limited budget, I can't afford to pay the candidate up front, so I'm offering a 50/50 revenue split. The candidate is expected to port the game, publish it, interact with app review sites, and to help promote the game. Since the candidate will be publishing it and receiving monies for it, the candidate will be expected to provide regular royalty payments to me. Thus, the candidate must demonstrate they are reliable and trustworthy, so references are required. Ideally I'd like someone who has ported games for other companies in the past. Candidates who haven't ported games for other companies but would still like to apply should at least provide references from other parties that you've worked with, such as artists, musicians, etc.

Depending on the success of this project, there may be opportunity to port additional games for me in the future.

Fashion Cents Deluxe was written in C++ using cross platform libraries, like SDL and SDL_mixer. The code that uses the libraries is isolated to a handful of classes, and the game itself is pretty straightforward, so I would think it should be fairly easy to port. For this game, I'm primarily targeting iPad and other tablet devices; some of the pieces in the game (like shoes and jewelry) are probably too small for the game to be playable on a smart phone's small screen, but I'll defer to the app developer's judgment on that.

Interested developers should email me at: info AT mygamecompany DOT com.

You can check out the game at the Fashion Cents Deluxe home page:
    http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/FashionCentsDeluxe/main.htm

Thanks!

Troy Hepfner
    My Game Company

#1 GolfHacker, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. vbovio

vbovio New Member

email sent!

3. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Thanks to everyone who applied. I've decided to put this project on hold for a little while. I realized I'm just too busy at the moment to give this project the attention it deserves. I'll re-post this ad when I'm ready.

4. jay.gamedev

jay.gamedev New Member

Why can't someone just close this thread. The forum is for paid work only!

From the rules: A share of profits after game release or a share of resources created during development does not qualify as "paid positions"

5. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Fine by me. The position is closed anyway.

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Jay, this site is deader than a door nail. Do we really have to worry about pruning useful posts from very long time veterans of the site?

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Yeah, this is pure non sense. How many of us are still coming here? 5? Why closing threads when really this site need badly to attract new blood.

JC

8. MrPhil

Original Member

The rumor I heard is there is a secret invite only section that people still participate in.

9. Desktop Gaming

The place kind of fell into disrepair over a year ago when it got absolutely invaded by tons and tons of spambots. The anti-spam measures just weren't working, and the amount of crap getting posted here forced a lot of people away. Even now we get a lot of stuff flagged as 'moderated' but interestingly, very little of it is from new 'members' - the majority comes from historic registrations as far back as August 2012 - accounts which have sat dormant, until one day they start posting a load of spam. There's a few extra moderators now so that stuff normally gets dealt with fairly quickly. Unfortunately the damage has already been done, and those who moved on are sadly unlikely to return. How did the forum ever get into that state? I don't know. I guess it just became unmanageable for the forum admins, for whatever reason.

As for the "paid positions only" thing - it's pretty discretionary, as are most rules. Generally acceptable from veteran members with a proven track record, but if somebody new joins claiming to be making "GTA5, only BETTAH!" in Game Maker and offering a cut of the profits to a 30-strong "team" he wants to "hire", that's when the rules tend to get enforced.

There is a "secret invite only section", but it doesn't get used a lot and is mostly completely boring stuff. The latest post (over two months ago) was by, oddly enough, me, discussing payroll software. You're really not missing anything.

10. lennard

One thing that I've done a few times over the years is pay an artist a small advance ($1000 or so) against royalties.