Help me with screen brightness info...

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Game Producer, Feb 14, 2009.

1. hippocoder

Indie Author

just set your own gamma properly then do it by that. Its how all the AAA games do it, and you will rarely ever find a gamma setting in games these days.

I think you worry too much. Set *your* gamma correctly and dont worry. Most monitors are shipped with pretty good default settings so...

2. gmcbay

Indie Author

Kind of just reiterating things that have already been said, but as someone who has a wide-gamut color monitor that is custom calibrated via colorimeter for the photography work I do, I can see the detail on all posted images, though I think the first one would clearly be too dark for general consumption.

The rest are light enough, but they have serious issues with lack of contrast, which is probably the real root of your problem with people having trouble viewing things.

Also, I disagree that AAA games don't have gamma settings these days. Almost all of them do, actually, especially on consoles. They call the gamma setting brightness to avoid confusing the user, but it is usually really a gamma slider.

3. Nikster

Original Member

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing, on Ps3 and 360 at least I thought it was part of the standards (I just had to implement it anyways), I know valve also include it in their games too, also named brightness. However I don't own enough AAA games on PC to know what the majority do there.

4. mooktown

Original Member

Today I'm feeling more jovial than usual

Hmm... after all these posts of text I wonder...

...why this thread exist?

Stuff happens. Some gamma is bright

Some gamma is dark

Some gamma is in the goldilocks zone

So what?

Decide your own gamma.

Let's lock this thread?

#24 mooktown, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009