Help! I know nothing about art.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Reactor, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Okay, I do know a thing or two about art, (har har, tricked you :)) but I'd like to know even more. Specifically, I'd like know what the art needs and budget limits of indie devs actually are these days.

I could take a guess (which is what I've been doing) but I've decided to stop guessing and go straight to the source. I've put together a little survey, and would really appreciate it if I could have a few minutes of people's time to grab some details.

It's quite short, and it's as anonymous as I can make it using the survey software. All that's left to say is a big thankyou if you can fill it out! Sadly, no one will be winning a prize at the end of it. But, your typing skills will improve a tiny amount, and that's pretty important.

The Art Survey

All suggestions welcome, and I'll try and update the survey if something needs changing.

2. djcityscapes

djcityscapes New Member

I took your survey. I hope you find it useful.

3. Reactor

Thanks djcityscapes, I really appreciate it!

4. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

It varies between no money at all to millions of dollars I suppose :p

5. Reactor

That sounds like my original guesses :p

Actually, just as an update to my thanks before- thanks to everyone that has filled in the survey. The results so far have certainly corrected my thinking in a number of areas. I'm very thankful for the honestly.

EDIT: Someone mentioned posting the results here. I'm not sure most of the answers are clear cut enough to post on a forum. Whether the information can be summed up or not, I'll also offer it up at a few other dev hotspots I'm aware of, which may take a few days.

6. Grindalf

Grindalf New Member

I took the survey, hope it helps :D

7. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I'm surprised you're only asking the devs and don't have a survey for artists. Would be interesting to compare what the two sides of the equation think.

8. Reactor

Thanks Grindalf :)

Possibly from a pure curiosity point of view, I agree, it would. But, this was mainly for my benefit so I could correct my thinking and work out what services to offer people, as well as follow up with guys who could fill the services I couldn't, should someone ask.

The other reason why I haven't is because there are a lot of devs hanging around forums, reading posts, looking for help. From what I can tell, not many artists hang around. They post their portfolios and then wait to be contacted. I'm not sure the picture I'd get from a survey would be that telling, if the response amount was low.

Still, I may get one up and running, because part of me is curious :) If you think my logic is out of whack on the above though Alex, let me know. If you have the time also, by all means please pm me if there's a question or two you'd like to see thrown out to artists.

9. rioka

rioka New Member

Just because they don't post, or only post their portfolio once, doesn't mean that artists cannot lurk.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the results. I'm pretty curious myself. C:

10. Reactor

I agree they can lurk. Some do. But, as I said, most don't come here for the conversation.

11. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Oh, I see... you're actually looking to freelance as an artist, rather than asking for advice on working with artists. I knew you did your own art, but I always thought you were primarily a dev for some reason. I guess I never clicked on the links in your sig and assumed "Plasma Beam" was a game.

Well, welcome to the Working-Our-Fingers-to-the-Bone-While-Slowly-Starving-to-Death club. :)

12. Reactor

LOL :D So true, so true.

I am a dev primarily, but I thought I'd be insane and try doing freelance for a while, instead of working a 9 to 5 job, which has typically been a painful experience. The aim was to do it outside of the indie game world, but that hasn't exactly gone as smoothly as I would have liked. So, I thought I'd push in a little here and see how things were with people. Sometimes I think I've substituted one painful experience for another, but...

13. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

I took the survey. Also very curious to see the results.

Will be good to have these stats on file.

How's your sample size so far?

14. Reactor

So far, a whole 17 people! :p

Actually it's pretty amazing in my eyes that anyone would go to the trouble. 17 is great. Most of the answers are written ones, and the free survey website won't allow me to export the results, so I'll write up a general summary. For people who are curious, that'll at least lay down some ballpark figures and what people are thinking/expecting. And of course, this will happen on a webpage with giant neon lights pointing to my incredibly unbeatable services ;)

In the meantime I'll try and up that number. My maximum number of responses is 100.

15. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

My day job is in this industry (online research) - I know ALL about online surveys. If you've ever taken an offical gaming survey from Rockstar or EA (or the likes), my company was probably involved. :D

Some of the trick is in the survey design. If you ever do it again, PM me and I'll help you write it up.

16. Reactor

Thanks! I'll pm you a bit later today. It's not as if I run surveys every day, but that sounds like an offer too good to refuse :)