Help choosing the character name and the game name!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Nemo Games, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Nemo Games

Nemo Games New Member

Hi,

We're working on a classic platformer game. The main platform is iOS. This will publish for windows, MAC OS and android Deivices too.

We are designing levels now.
    We need help to choose the name for main character and the name of the game!

I think it would be good to use the name of main character in game's name:
    example: Lucy's Adventures, Amy Dream Land, etc

It is our first platformer and first serious game! so we stick to classic rules of platformer games, we added a few things though (double jump, a few new enemies, etc). the main way to kill is jump on enemies (like mario)
    we don't think of the story yet, but It would be a common story ( a girl wants to free his boyfriend! or something like this)

It has 3 environment: grainfield (should change to jungle), Ice and Cave. each has 8 level 1 boss level and 1 bonus level.
    It has 9 enemies (some of them are exclusive for some environments)
    It has about 10 obstacles.
    and some mechanics like elevators, portal etc.

The problem is that our mother language is not english, so we can't find out that is a name OK or not. So I want your help guys
    (I would like a new and unique name too)

You can play a test level:
    http://nemogames.persiangig.com/index.html

(I will upload more levels with new enemies as soon as I get them)

What name/names do you suggest?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Nemo Games, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. RizzoR

RizzoR New Member

Hey,

Have you fleshed out a story? That might help in giving it a relevant meaningful name.

If you have, you may want to post it here to help for brainstorming. It's easier to name a game once you know more about it, like the core mechanics, back story etc

If you haven't, you may want to give it some thought. It's not vital, and it can be annoying, but it a decent story will add to the game. A decent place to start would be is to ask "Why is she here"?
    Is she on a quest to find something / rescue someone?
    Has something forced her to flee her home?
    Does she just want an adventure?
    ---> Then the game title could come from that maybe

And what's unique about the game? Not just from a competitive perspective but for naming as well

It's a nice looking game though.

Thanks, and hope that helps
    Ross

PS. The Unity Web player link doesn't work, on my machine anyway

3. 3peakaudio

3peakaudio New Member

I wanted to help out with some ideas and web player not working here too.

4. DoomCube

DoomCube New Member

It's a nice looking game from the screen shots, Nemo. Unfortunately the web player isn't working for me either.

If you are aiming the title for a young audience, then you could try out a cute title like Jeopardy Jane or something like that.

5. Nemo Games

Nemo Games New Member

Thanks

It is our first platformer and first serious game! so we stick to classic rules of platformer games, we added a few things though (double jump, a few new enemies, etc). the main way to kill is jump on enemies (like mario)
    No we don't think of the story yet, but It would be a common story ( a girl wants to free his boyfriend! or something like this)

It has 3 environment: grainfield (should change to jungle), Ice and Cave. each has 8 level 1 boss level and 1 bonus level.
    It has 9 enemies (some of them are exclusive for some environments)
    It has about 10 obstacles.
    and some mechanics like elevators, portal etc.

The problem is that our mother language is not english, so we can't find out that is a name OK or not. So I want your help guys
    (I would like a new and unique name too)

I reuploaded it:
    http://morteza73.persiangig.com/index.html

(I will upload more levels with new enemies as soon as I get them)

6. 3peakaudio

3peakaudio New Member

Nice looking fame, I love the graphic style. Character moves a bit slow, she feels a bit "heavy" for a platformer.

I'm not native english speaker neither but I'll try to help. In my opinion this could be cute take on Thombrider theme. She remids me for some reason on Lara Croft. Pony tail, shorts, boots, back pack, pistol... :) Maybe you could set plot around simple finding some lost relics/artefacts and give her a name something like Sara Loft, or Choose one name ending on "ra" (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ending/0/ra/) and than think of or goolge some surname ending with "ft".

Good luck!

#6 3peakaudio, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  7. RizzoR

RizzoR New Member

[QUOTE Choose one name ending on "ra" (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ending/0/ra/) and than think of or goolge some surname ending with "ft".

Good luck![/QUOTE]

That's actually very funny! But I'd advise against it because it's a bit of a cliche and lacks creativity. But that's my opinion

But the relic hunter idea is excellent in my opinion.

You should be quite proud of your English :) What languages are you hoping to release in?

8. RizzoR

RizzoR New Member

Perhaps she hears of a legend of an incredibly valuable relic/tomb/gem/stone/cave where it has been said in myth that "only the best adventurers could ever obtain it", or "obtaining it will lead to endless fame and fortune" or "grants whatever you wish". Then, you name that whatever "it" is and that could be your title. Or something like "The legend of 'it' " or, "the 'it' stone/gem"

Well...that's a very simple solution

The game plays very well by the way, but yes the character does feel heavy. And perhaps while it's only on PC, you may want to map the jump and shoot commands to key

9. Nemo Games

Nemo Games New Member

Thanks,
    you can play new demo:

http://nemogames.persiangig.com/index.html

I increase character accelerator and max speed.

what's your idea about this Story:

and what's your idea about these names:

Mimi's Quest
    Ayga's Quest
    Backpack Betty
    Audacious Allegra
    Intrepid Ileana
    Eden's Expedition
    Kimi's Quest
    Kara's Quest
    Dolly's Quest

10. RizzoR

RizzoR New Member

The first half is great! But I'm not so sure about the army of dolls

"Ava's parents knew their daughter had a special connection with doll they gave her as a gift all those years ago. But little did they know that he bond between Ava and this doll was much deeper than a childs playful affection. You see, this doll was bought at an overseas market, sold by a merchant whose eloquence, or lack therof, made it hard for them to understand that the doll had 'feelings', and could unleash powerful magic when these feelings reached an extreme level. As a young girl, Ava's attachment towards the doll meant the doll 'somehow' made her happiness grow with more play. However, years have past, and the doll has been condemned as a mere ornament to her college dormitory; sadness growing from the years of neglect. When Ava brought a young male back to her dorm, she punished Ava by banishing him - this new thing that took Ava's attention away from her - to the far reaches of another realm. Just before the doll escapes with the boy through a portal/void (I couldn't come up with something more creative) Ava dives through the portal/void and takes off on a quest to destroy this dangerous magic, and ultimately return to her world with the boy unharmed. But the doll's spirit isn't done with yet, as it intends to stop Ava with the realm's dark magic."

Hope you like that. Here's some other things you can do with the story:

It doesn't necessarily have to a boyfriend. It could be her bestfriend - a girl she grew up with since she stopped playing with the doll. I think that makes more sense.

The enemies and obstacles could spawn from the realm's (and the doll's) magic. But the enemies shouldn't be an army of dolls in my opinion.

And then you could name it "Ava's ques"t or whatever you do name the girl. The titles you mentioned earlier work fine. Alternatively, you could name the realm or the magic, and name the title after that

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix New Member

Cool ideas being thrown around indeed. I do like Eden's Expedition, sits well