Hello, i'm new here and looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by cycoclash25, Oct 13, 2016.

1. cycoclash25

cycoclash25 New Member

Hello, my names Tanner and i'm a Game Designer.

I have been looking for ways to try and motivate myself and improve on my skills but its been rough balancing work, personal time and what not. I was the only one in my class in college who took an concentration in Game Design and it made it hard to ask my friends for advice. My teacher knew the basics of Game Design but wasn't much help in the regards of programming and other skills I was lacking in. I got a contract for a year after graduating involving making Flash tutorials but have had a hard time getting back into the swing of things after moving back to my home province. I had to settle for a job in Security until I could find something and have been working here for the past 2 years. I had a rough time with some crappy jobs working in security starting out and few hours at times but I am now in a more manageable night shift job. Its pretty quiet here and there is a laptop here I can use to work but i'm hesitant to download any programs since its not my laptop.

I've been working on improving my drawing and pixel art while more recently working on making some social media accounts to post my art as well. I have lots of ideas I want to work on but have a hard time organizing my thoughts and ideas but I would like to start developing a game. I figured I would try looking for some where online I can chat with like minded individuals, and that is what led me to here. I have recently bought Game Maker Pro from the Humble Bundle deal with all the extras, I would like to get some practice working on mobile games. I also have experience with Unity but my coding skills are a bit rusty since I haven't done much coding in the past couple years. I mostly worked in Flash when I was at school and working a contract, but I would like to get more into Unity or Game Maker and maybe learn some other coding languages.

Any advise for developing for mobile and coding would be appreciated, or recommended programs for developing. If there is anything that I can do while at work without having to download any programs that would also be appreciated. I have been trying to manage my time better but I can get distracted pretty easily. I want to polish up my skills so that i can apply for an ideal job when the time comes and also complete one of my game ideas in the process. I haven't been looking for a job as much lately since most are looking for skills I just don't have and a lot are looking for experience with mobile. I have a passion for video games and design, I just have trouble finding the motivation at times. I would be interested in working on some small projects, I mostly have been doing pixel art and design but am willing to learn new skills if necessary. I have some social anxiety so I have trouble asking for advise but I want to change that so I can improve my work.

I've been rambling a lot at this point, I haven't been to any online forums in quite awhile but this seems like a good place to start. Thanks for listening if you read all of this, and I hope to see some of you around and maybe we can work on something together some time.

2. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

This is rational and relatable, getting off starting doing one project to another project is a very big deal. Make no mistake as well as going from point A to B regarding it isn't to terribly bad either. Though even after you explained everything I still get what you're saying and understand it all.

I recommend using CSS or HTML5 when programming a mobile game, faster results as well as a easier field of development for the mobile market. As for developing a game. It's annoyingly easy to get distracted while game developing is occurring and when that reoccurring issue is present. It's clear that you are easily distracted.

I would advise, getting a grasp of your idea. Your sense in doing the project completely and absolutely before continuing to pursue... Easy tactic that most devs tend to make is dream to big but never reinforce their progress in game development beyond a certain point. If their ambitions are to big compared to their motivation. They're doomed to fail.

Hey, don't worry. Most of the more active members have vanished and I have returned because ya'know... Life things and what not but aside from that. I'm just in and out of the field of game development but in reality. You haven't missed much.

3. cycoclash25

cycoclash25 New Member

Wow, thanks for the response, I will looking into those for mobile gaming. I think I get what you are saying about the dreaming too big, that's probably one of my main problems. I have all these ideas and some end goals but lose sight of where i'm going so I think I need to try and organize my notes and flesh out the details. Maybe I should just make something simple and work my way up to making something larger scale so I don't get over whelmed since I do everything myself.

metateen likes this.