Have you made backups?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Game Producer, Apr 20, 2011.

1. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

I've actually taken to an extra measure of backups for documents and scores, by sending a gmail zip to myself with excessive labeling. If there's one thing that will survive for a hundred years after the zombies invade and ultimately get repelled, it will be Google.

2. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

That is an really creative way to survive a zombie invasion!

Hmm, won't it require bit too much manual work though?

3. nbkolchin

nbkolchin New Member

Lost 4GB of working data, due to RAID0 failure. All sources were in remote VCS, but all test/working/etc data disappeared. Took 1.5 month to restore working projects.

After that, I bought Synology-DS710+ with two 3GB WD drives in RAID-1 and configured it for daily incremental backups with day/week/month snapshots.

Maybe, I will backup some data to Amazon S3 at sometime.

4. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

The nice thing about google is they have searching down to a business. Label things correctly or just throw a bunch a words in your email that you think you'll try to search for it later. Important Documents Backup Document Doc Back Up Business Contract Invoice Quote, then hit send. I've saved myself a lot after a harddrive crash by just having zips of all my important data waiting for me.

The best thing is it's accessible from any computer I log into, so I can show of my music and sounds wherever I have a terminal. Lots of people I've talked to are wary of google stealing my important information, but I just reply my information isn't really all that important!

5. Joe Griffith

Joe Griffith New Member

I tend to backup all my work on a weekly basis using a cloud backup service - had a nasty experience with a ticking harddrive which finally prompted me to get serious about backups.

6. Game Producer

What offsite backup service providers you guys are using?

7. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think you're pretty much knackered on all counts there.

8. Artinum

Original Member

This thread kicked off my urge to sort out my stuff a little while ago. The end is in sight! Two 32Gb memory sticks are now almost full, and I have all the data archived on the computer's second hard drive. If the computer should fail, I have another copy of everything. If I need to transfer to a new computer before that, I can do so quite easily, even if the memory sticks crap out on me.

I'm aware an old school friend uses Dropbox - is it good? How much does it cost?

9. Applewood

We had a catastrophic fail on one of our server drives a few months ago. We had no specific backup plan, but we do keep all our projects distributed on other pc's via svn. (our individual work pc and one at home)

It took two days (due to sheer amount of bandwidth) to get back to a good place and required no physical effort to maintain the "backups" in the first place. I Highly recommend this process as it works despite the human factor that making regular useable backups is error prone and often forgotten.

10. Desktop Gaming

Never used it myself but apparently its good. Its also free if you're using less than 2GB of storage: http://www.dropbox.com/pricing

11. Game Producer

Dropbox is bit too slow for my taste (notice: to MY TASTE, in absolute sense it's okay ;)), but I guess it won't get any better no matter what offsite storage I'd use. Also, if you refer buddies you guys get +250 MB extra space (up to 8 gig after several referrals). 50 gigs costs 100 bucks per year in Dropbox.

Any other online alternatives?

P.S. Please just ignore spam posts, we try and get them deleted & banned. :)

12. Desktop Gaming

That's exactly the reason I never tried it. I only have 48k upstream and whichever way you cut it, that's slow.

Also, I might be an old fart buy I do worry about leaving 'sensitive' documents somewhere online.

13. GBGames

Indie Author

I didn't have any external backups, but before I left for a three week trip to Europe in March, I set up a private GitHub repository for my current project. At $7/month, it seemed cheap enough to be a good idea.

I also have a 1TB drive connected to my router, but it's a bit of a pain to backup to. I used to use a script called SnapBack2 years ago, but then my backup drive got corrupted. These days, I've been very bad about backups in general.

I'm impressed by the detailed process of Indiepath, though! How long did it take you to set that up, and how much time does it take in a given week/month?

14. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

Not sure what it was in the end, but a year or two ago I was working with a client who wanted to use dropbox to share resources. Half way through the project, I got a frightful email asking why I deleted half the repository. I hadn't even touched dropbox that week so I was sure there was some mistake. Problem was it clearly flagged my user name as the culprit (I couldn't believe it myself, but there it was). Looking at the time stamp, I wasn't even in the office with my computer on during the time in question, but I couldn't prove it or explain it. They had their own backups but trust was definitely lost between us...

15. Joe Griffith

Joe Griffith New Member

Personally, I'm currently using BackBlaze (http://www.backblaze.com/) since it runs nicely in the background without interrupting anything to create the backups. Not bad pricing either going as low as $4ish a month! Unlimited backup storage space is a plus too.

16. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

Not that I have anything seriously against dropbox, but last sunday's issues remind us that while it's good for online storage/backup, don't expect it to act as fort knox.

17. Artinum

Original Member

Just finished backing everything up tonight. It's amazing to find out how much stuff I had duplicated! I now have everything archived in two places, so I have redundancy. Phew!

18. TeeGee

TeeGee New Member

19. etali

Original Member

I love threads like this - you can never be reminded too often about backups!

I have copies of my code on every single machine in the house - even my netbook, which can't run the games, and is a tad slow for developing on. However, if my house were to burn down tomorrow, having a ton of local backups wouldn't help! I do occasionally upload a copy to my VPS (hosted far, far away), but I haven't done that in a while - better run another upload now!

20. Desktop Gaming

But not everything you want to safeguard needs versioning so that's a waste, really.
    I was thinking the same thing lately, living in a 150 year old cottage that wasn't built to modern regulations, if there was a fire there probably wouldn't be a lot left. I'm considering a fireproof safe - can pick them up for under £100 these days.