Have an Idea but No Experience or Money

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by YourRaccoonUncle, Oct 12, 2019.

1. YourRaccoonUncle

YourRaccoonUncle New Member

Hello, all. I suppose being straight to the point would help me communicate my current predicament to you all. I am a university student with a story that I want to see translated into the medium of an indie RPG, but have zero experience in game development and programming; to make matters worse, I have no cash and, even when I do start working again, will probably not have as much money as I would like to fund my project.

What would you recommend that I do in order to begin learning game design and what are some economical options that I could use to practice game design?

Any help would be more than appreciated.

2. 3Dski

3Dski New Member

It's much like eating an elephant... You're going to have to scale down your vision and digest things in small bites. First, decide what on a platform you can learn on; Mac or Windows? I would think that since you're totally new, you should start learning how to develop on the system you have.

There is going to be a learning curve with any, and just about every tool, you choose to work with. Godot is free and you can do just about anything you'd like with that tool, and it can be used for multiple Mac/PC or mobile. Once again, I would not think about mobile, because that will only complicate your development environment needs and get in the way of learning the fundamentals. Godot has free tutorials, it requires minimal programming and there are inexpensive paid tutorials on learning sites like Udemy.

But, there may be free RPG making software out there that might provide some basic art assets, with little to no programming. But, many of these kinds of tools have drag-and-drop logic blocks and still considered programming. A tool that's designed to create RPGs may make it easier to bring your idea to life.

You can find art designed for games online, or find free drawing tools to create simple placeholders for what you want in your game. Since your goal is to learn and not sell, then licensing shouldn't be an issue. But, if you do want to build on what you're creating to sell you'll need to make sure what type of licensing is applied to those assets if you're not making them yourself.

Finally, I'm a developer, but it is still very easy to get lost in all the details, so a lot of your effort will be spent focussing on keeping a focused perspective on the simplest goals you want to achieve, then build upon those goals. So, whatever you do, chose your learning steps so that they are self-rewarding and motivate you on to the next learning step with a sense of accomplishment.

Sure hope this helps!