Have a C++ Framework, but I want it portable to .net....

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Raptisoft, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Hi all,

I have a very sturdy, good C++ framework that I use to write for Win, Mac, and iPhone. It's very tailored to what I need, and simple. My main code only touches a few system commands, and everything is done through a few system calls to initialize the system, draw quads, etc. Even all input is simply put into a custom message queue for me to get it, so that I can seperate all the mouse and touches code from everything else.

I am interested in making this compatible with .net to target XBox Live.

If I port my OS-specific code, how well will normal C++ code that I use to write the game itself translate to .net? For instance, does memcpy exist? New and Delete?

Are they any gotchas that I need to watch for? Is this even possible?

Thanks,
    John

2. Julio Gorge

Original Member

.Net is a framework, not a language. AFAIK you can only use C# with XNA for Xbox Live Indie Games / WP7, so you'll need to rewrite most of your code.

3. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Is there a process via which one can buy a devkit or something else, some way to get approved as an XBox developer? Surely there's SOME way to get C++ onto the XBox...

4. MFS

MFS New Member

Yep, you just have to be a registered XBox developer. Once you have been accepted into the registered developer program, you'll get access to the XDK so you can do all of the C++ you want, as well as buy dev kits etc. The other option is to sign up with an XBox approved publisher, who can get you access to the same things.

However, since you just want to release an XBLA game, you may able to get your game directly signed up and thus get access that way. You can read more about that here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/xbox360/xbla

From my experience the registered developer approval process is long, unless you have good contacts. Good luck!

#4 MFS, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. Jim Buck

Indie Author

If you do get in, please post the magic incantation here. I've tried several times to contact Microsoft about getting licensed, and I've heard nary a peep from them. Nevermind that I've actually helped to ship a couple Xbox360 games as a contractor and am licensed for every single other system out there now.

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think they're just not interested in smallfry any more. The last time we dealt with this, I was picking up that impression then and I'm sure it's gotten much worse since.

Having dealt with the XBLA team (we have our own title out - Shotest Shogi - plus a whole bunch of "assists" for other games/devs) I must say I relish not doing so again. To the point where we took out the XBLA support from our engine.

I think the next few years belong to Sony again, at least for mini devs like us.

7. Jim Buck

Indie Author

:eek: Wow, that alone is pretty telling! I totally agree about Sony.