Hard Drive Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jamie W, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I have two laptops, same brand / model ...

Using GetVolumeInformation() to determine hard drive serial number, it seems that both laptops have the exact same serial number!!

Is that normal?

2. Arex

Arex New Member

The hard drive serial number probably is the one that is generated DOS or Windows every time you format your hard drive. It isn't the model number or serial number of your physical hard drive.

So I think it can happen. :)

3. Jamie W

Okay.

I'm trying to get a unique machine finger-print, so I guess using the HD serial number isn't a good solution?

Are there any other options available?

Cheers,

4. ChrisP

Indie Author

MAC address, aka Ethernet address, of the network card(s), if any. But that can be changed. And network cards can be swapped in and out for whatever reason (upgrading, replacing broken ones), so they can change for legitimate reasons too.

5. Arex

Arex New Member

No, don't use HD serial number, I'v seen it causing problems to customers (including me). :)

Try using some registry value from Window's registry, I think they have some unique values.

6. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

We used to lock games to network adapter mac address (back when there were less of them and they had hardware locked addresses).

I'm sure there's a windows api somewhere to get something like this. Try the platform sdk?

7. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Hard drives do have unique serial numbers. But you are reading the “software” serial number that was written when the drive was formatted (or cloned). You need to read the hardware serial number with a different API.

8. HappyCat

Original Member

I looked into this a few years ago to try to tie an application we were developing to a single PC.

Unfortunately the "software" HD serial number isn't unique (ghosted drive images will all have the same number - so, as you discovered PCs of the same make and model will typically have the same number) and the "hardware" serial number isn't always set (my memory's a bit vague but in a company of about 8 PCs, I think 3 or 4 didn't have one at all).

We also decided we couldn't rely on MAC address (for the reasons listed previously, as well as the fact that not all PCs have network cards).

So in the end we gave up on the idea and just went with a more "normal" serial number approach.

9. Jamie W

Hmmm, it seems some machines are reporting the Hard Drive Serial as being 0 (zero).

Can anyone recommend an alternative to use, to get a uniq id (hardware fingerprint) for a windows PC?

10. Nikster

Original Member

There is a way, but suffers the same fate with any hardware check, and that's replacing and getting and different ID, I sent via PM as these forums are google cached ;)