Handling dead keys in SDL

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ggambett, Jun 11, 2005.

1. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Silly me. All this time I was assuming that ggambett was trying to detect when then ' key was pressed but his app didn’t get notified until the A was pressed. I just re-read is initial message and it seems the exact opposite is going on. The ' key is typing a ' character when it should not. Sorry. I misunderstood.

Is handling WM_DEADCHAR message likely to help this? It seems like he wants to ignore it in this case.

2. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Exactly. I get MORE dead key characters than I need :) Somewhere, some piece of code should eat a dead char + normal char and give me a modified char, but it's giving me both the dead char and the normal char.

3. jetro

Original Member

I'd like to know did you get this problem sorted out some way?

And did you verify you have correctly called SDL_EnableUNICODE(1); before using the unicode field from events. I'm still wonderin why you seem to get different behavior than I.

4. Savant

Original Member

Might as well use this old thread for this...

Anyone have any experience with SdlDotNet? I'm using it via C# and either I'm missing something or the keyboard input is horribly broken.

I see no way to extract the ascii char value from the KeyboardEventArgs arg that is passed to my keyboard event handler. I can get the SDL "Key.whatever" value out of it but I can't get the text representation in case I want to, oh I don't know, accept input from the user and store it in a string.

Has anyone gotten this to work? The "unicode" member mentioned above seems to be missing SdlDotNet.

5. Olofson

Original Member

I have no idea what SdlDotNet does, but the actual SDL API requires that you explicitly enable Unicode using SDL_EnableUNICODE(1), or that unicode field won't contain anything useful.

As to the original dead keys issue, this is indeed a limitation in the SDL implementation. There is a patch for Win32, and work in progress for X11.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.sdl/25289

6. Savant

Original Member

Grrrr..

(blah blah why don't the mods just lift this stupid too short restriction blah blah)

7. soniCron

Indie Author

To prevent posts like "Grrrr..."? ;) Seriously, though, how 'bout it guys?

8. jetro

Original Member

Seriously, I can't see where is the problem. I have the dead keys working just fine with SDL apps after calling SDL_EnableUNICODE(1).

Haven't checked if it works correctly on linux & mac, but at least on win32 it works fine!

9. Savant

Original Member

Yeah, and a bang up job it does too! :rolleyes:

SdlDotNet. Please read the question before responding.