Guidance from the elders (you all)

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Evil Dan, May 8, 2014.

1. Evil Dan

Evil Dan New Member

A little update on my road to full time and an updated roadmap:

Feb - Got all major features working in my game (except for boss fights)
    March - Went to GDC (omfg it was amazing), met with Nintendo about putting my game on the Wii-U. I'll try to focus on getting finished art in the game for screenshots and video
    April - Read through copy edits of my book (Pixel Art for Game Developers) and make changes as needed. Try my best to focus on that and not on my game.
    May - Work on my game
    June - Youngest kid goes to elementary school and the monthly daycare $$ is lifted. Save up through the summer
    July - Try to resist the urge to quit my job
    August - Try to resist the urge to quit my job
    September - pull the trigger and jump ship

2. Evil Dan

Evil Dan New Member

Just an update:

I've finished edits on my book (you can pre-order on amazon http://amzn.to/1B3bmcx )! The kid will be done with daycare in one week so that will be some major $$ lifted.

Also - I've got my Wii-U dev kit (although I haven't figured out how to use it yet)... But there is one problem with my development process: I seem to have gotten myself addicted to Dark Souls. Every evening when I would normally be working on game dev -- all I want to do is play this game.

Hmm... If things don't even out in a few weeks I may have to work out a solution...

3. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Cool, good luck!

4. Evil Dan

Evil Dan New Member

I am working the roadmap! I've got an actual target date now... Although I'm already in the drop zone.

It is looking like this now:

Aug (19th) - My book 'Pixel Art for Game Developers' gets released. Woo hoo!
    Sep - Build awareness of book, work on my game Interstellar Invaders
    Oct - Take the plunge and go full time indie!

I've been talking with my boss and we're looking at Oct 15th for me to make the leap.

5. Evil Dan

Evil Dan New Member

AAAaaaaand it's another course correction! But first things first:

The book is OUT! Woo hoo!

Now back to my check-in. This week I went from full time to part time at my job, making me a half-time indie rather than full time. The good news is that we'll still be able to keep the roof over our heads and the kids fed with this configuration. The meh thing is that I'm still not 100% on the job yet.

Saturday night I went out to an indie dev meeting and decided to write a small scale game that I intend to finish within the month of October. I got so fired up that night that I wrote the main mechanics and built the first 19 levels over the last 48 hours! (levels are small - only one screen).

This is amazing! It's everything I've been working toward!

bantamcitygames likes this.
  6. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

@Evil Dan that is awesome! I am going to live vicariously through you! :D Good luck... keep us updated.