GTD and deadliness

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by formfarbeminze, Aug 24, 2004.

1. formfarbeminze

Original Member

hi folks!

one of the book of the week club books i've read is 'getting things done' written by mr allen. the system mr allen proposes works very well for me since january of this year. since i wrote a business plan for my attempts to developing games, i use a goals/milestones system as an addition to the GTD-system. that works pretty well for me. better than those 20000 feets to as high as you can get thingy mr allen is so amused of.
    only downside: sometimes i miss deadlines or come close to it. somehow the GTD-system does not offer a real tool to handle deadlines. my question to the other GTDlers around here: how do make sure to not miss any deadlines?

2. Rod Hyde

Original Member

GTD and deadlines

Put reminders in your calendar and make sure that your calendar is the only thing that you use for timed events. Do the "weekly review" thing: there is a task in there to the effect of "check your calendar for up-coming events and generate actions from them."

What works for me is creating an entry in my calendar far enough in advance of the deadline that I have time to do something about it. When that entry fires off, then I try to work on all tasks that contribute towards that deadline and ignore the others.

This works much better for my day job than it does for writing games in my spare time, mostly because I have a lot of other demands on my time when I'm at home.

--- Rod

3. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

'getting things done'? gotta add that to my book list...

4. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Most misleading thread name ever!

Deadlines = Date on which a milestone expires (plural)
    Deadliness = Measure of how deadly is something

5. Valen

Indie Author

Oh the joys of the English language. :) Though, I heard that in Japanese something like changing the pitch of a sound can mean a totally different thing. :eek:

#5 Valen, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  6. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

"Yeah, right." :D

7. Sunshine

Original Member

http://www.codeproject.com/tools/ToDoList2.asp

Here is a free task tracking program I found.
    It includes the source code and also stores the files in XML.

I found it to be pretty useful, but truthfully I still rely mostly on the calander in outlook :p

8. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

I use ToDoList (fromt he post above)... Like it alot, except for when I'm really on a role - then I forget to add things into it, mark them off, etc... But I find it great for making lists of things to do when I'm having trouble for defining what's next.

9. grimreaper

Original Member

That would be Chinese.

Anyway, my problem with all the "Getting Things Done" systems is that they were not written with my gf in mind...

grimreaper

10. Sunshine

Original Member

What he forgot to mention was gf stands for Gaming Fixation :p

---Now where did I put that nintendo patterns book !? :cool: