Greenhouse from Penny Arcade

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Bad Sector, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Bad Sector

Original Member

Anyone saw this "Greenhouse indie-oriented portal the Penny Arcade guys are making? What they seem to do is make a indie game portal (much like Man!festo Games) from where they will sell their own episodic game and also other games from indie game developers. Since Greenhouse backed from PA, with enormous number of followers, the portal might gain some momentum (unlike Man!festo Games).

What do you think?

2. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant New Member

Sounds interesting but isn’t Penny Arcade’s audience pretty much hardcore gamers? Will they go for indie games? Tycho did highlight Armageddon Empires in the past though so this might be great news for us interested in doing complex strategy games.

Edit: hardcore = triple-A in this instance...

#2 GeneralGrant, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. Bad Sector

Original Member

Indie games aren't limited to specific genres and absolutely doesn't equal to casual games :).

I doubt Greenhouse will be a casual game portal. It would be like shooting themselves in the foot (and competing with the likes of Yahoo, MSN Games and the rest). With their audience the best thing to do is to make a hardcore/non-casual indie games portal, which is something that only Man!festo Games did and PA have a much bigger audience than Man!festo. Also there is the exclusivity of their own game which will attract some people there (unlike MG which has no such a thing).

4. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant New Member

Let me rephrase that. Will they go for games that don’t have fantastical 3D visuals on pair with the Unreal 3 engine? After all, a lot of the comic strips are about the latest and greatest games so I would wager that’s the audience they attract. My concern is that they would reject 2D strategy games, or similar, because they aren’t cool, i.e. shiny. But Tycho’s interest in them bodes well for Greenhouse.

#4 GeneralGrant, Apr 3, 2008
  5. ChrisP

Indie Author

Maybe not all of them. But I think there is a reasonable quantity of "gameplay over graphics" types who simply haven't discovered the indie scene. I could be wrong, I haven't done any research.

That's not to say that graphics aren't important, because they always are.

6. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton New Member

A mention on Penny-Arcade's front page is often enough to bring down an unprepared server. A wanging, or to be wanged to use the PA forum parlance. Any game mentioned immediately gets a thread started up about it in the PA forums by new converts where people share their experiences. And given that the forum is frequented by basically the most hardcore, most dedicated, tech-savvy gamers who and represent a tiny fraction of the overall readership that's surely a good sign for niche titles.

Based solely on Tychos love for hexes, roleplaying games and pretty much anything offbeat or experimental I think it's safe to say that Greenhouse is going to accept 2d strategy games.

7. Teeth

Original Member

It's a huge huge mistake to generalise such a gigantic readership like that. Very short-sighted. You think all indie gamers limit themselves solely to mainstream games? What about stuff like XBLA, how does that work then?

Also PA regularly pimp indie games of various sorts. This is in line with their regular activity IMO.

8. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant New Member

I didn’t generalize anything at all. I asked if there isn't a majority of triple-A gamers reading Penny Arcade and if that would affect which games get onto Greenhouse.

#8 GeneralGrant, Apr 3, 2008
  9. KNau

Original Member

It's a legit question - I think your estimation is right and it would depend on your game. I don't think top end graphics are a requirement since this audience seems more than willing to accept stylized graphics like Audiosurf, Geometry Wars or Defcon. Or even mediocre graphics if the game has some depth to it like an RPG.

Of course, at this moment the only game on it is theirs.

10. Matthew

Indie Author

I think the portal makes sense for them, simply because their traffic is large enough to be easily monetized. I spent some time on the phone yesterday with Jeff, the sales guy at PA. The deal seems favorable to devs--the numbers are basically equivalent to a standard affiliate cut.

If anyone needs Jeff's contact details to start the process on their game, just drop me an email or PM and I'll paste you his email sig (and they are actively looking for games)...

11. KNau

Original Member

At the very least it's another option for indie "core" developers besides Manifesto, which never really took off. PA at least has the eyeballs that should turn into downloads.

12. mooktown

Original Member

now now ladies.. less QQ more pew pew :p

this is great news!

#12 mooktown, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  13. Yarlen

Original Member

From what I've talked about with Hothead, Greenhouse is going to be geared toward indie-developers and not so much AAA titles. They view it more as a way to help elevate indie games and gamers to be more noticable - which is very cool.

14. Leon

Original Member

Alot of potential here. As someone who's working on an RPG, it's extremely good news to see a site like this springing up. RPGs aren't what most portals are looking for, so it's good to have this option.

And having options is never a bad thing.

15. lakibuk

Indie Author