Great Little War Game

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Applewood, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

We've just made a promo video thingy to take to a biz conference and I thought I'd draw attention to it here as some people expressed an interest.

Disclaimer:
    The video didn't have much time spent on it (a few hours) as this was all a bit of a rush job. True to form, the build used is also fairly old due to me having the code in pieces today.

Any comments welcome. What should we do for next time when there is more time available?

2. jpoag

jpoag New Member

<< opens wallet >>

How much?

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Nice video and game. Seems definitely some sort of 3d advance wars game, should do well. Just a curiosity, Pc/iPad and no Mac version? Why?

4. lennard

Looks great Paul! Are you going to self publish?

5. BigB

BigB New Member

Looks great., as a Advance Wars addict, you have a buyer here ;)

6. Applewood

Wow, encouraging. Thanks guys. :)

The current intent is to self publish on PC, but we're looking around for some sort of deal for the iPad version as sales on that platform seem rather digital - either lots and lots or none at all. If no publisher then of course we'll punt it out ourselves and do what we can to make it pay.

Regarding Mac, nobody here has the skillset atm. Watching us learn Xcode and the desktop environment just to get operational would make the Mac afficionados here cringe. I do understand it wouldn't be a great leap for our GL build though, so doubtless we'll do one when we can make time.

Longer term plan (and the primary one tbh) is to make something that a publisher can't refuse to give us trillions of dollars for the 3DS version.

#6 Applewood, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  7. Bad Sector

Original Member

You don't need really need to use Xcode if all you use is C++. Eclipse, Qt Creator, MonoDevelop, NetBeans, jEdit or even a terminal with vi and a Makefile should be just fine if you like it :p.

Personally i use plain Makefiles or Makefiles generated via custom Python scripts so i can use whatever IDE i feel like at any moment (and i tend to hop around IDEs a bit :p the latest one is Qt creator) and have the build process standalone. Most IDEs can at least do a "make" call and any programmer's editor worth its name can call external tools :).

8. Backov

Original Member

That is looking gorgeous, Paul. Congrats. I hope you make a big pot of money.

If you do, I'm coming by for drinks on you. :)

9. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Please give me teh gehmes!

Seriously, looks awesome! If you want to punt on the Mac version for outsourcing, give me a shout.

10. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Well, if/when you have an IPAD version, it will take no time to create the MAC version.

About the video, there is a thing you could add: Snippers view. When a little soldier is shooting, we could see what's he see in is gun (snipper). Even if it is not ingame, this trick is used all the time to make the angle views more interesting.

PS: the game looks really cool too : gameplaywise and graphically (a bit too shiny though).

JC

11. Tobias

Indie Author

Very nice, I wanted to play it. I believe it's going to look really good on the 3DS.

12. Applewood

Loving the "sniper cam" idea, thanks.

13. Musenik

Original Member

Yep, let us know when the Mac version ships!

14. lennard

I don't see Mark on these boards here very often anymore so I'll speak up for him. Red Marble Games has ported and published several of my games to the Mac. in exchange for royalties - I'd drop him a note when done if you want to save your scheckels and just give up royalties.

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well I still don't get it - to make the iPad version you NEED a Mac (unless something changed recently). And you NEED to mess with Xcode. So at that point, doing a mac port wouldn't be such a problem since you already know 99% of what you need...

16. Applewood

Agreed. I'm not wasting money paying someone to port this when all that's really needed is a bit of googling and a gl interface. By the time we're ready to look at this we'll all doubtless feel more at home on the Mac by then too.

Thing is, we're trying to get off the tech now the iPad engine is running, as there's still a lot of game to write. With that in mind, a Mac build is around 0% priority right now. That will rise to 100% later on though.

17. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Looks pretty awesome! I'm not big into soldier-type war games or even turn-based games, but this looks good enough that I would give it a try!

18. Applewood

Great stuff! :)

19. jenystewart

jenystewart New Member

Wao great i really wanna play it.

20. Applewood

With the conference a week away, we've updated the video. It's a bit slicker now and there are some other things in it.

If anyone has any last minute edit suggestions, it'd be appreciated.