Great Little War Game - Out Now :)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Applewood, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Henri Karapuu

Henri Karapuu New Member

I'm surprised by the 3gs minimum requirement -- that reduces your potential
    market by about 40% doesn't it?

Furthermore, it is not just that you miss 40% of the sales, as consequence you
    also don't get as high ranking in "top" lists, which then can cause orders of
    magnitude bigger difference than the 40%.

Anyway, best of luck with the game, it seems really great. I would have
    definitely supported you if my device would have supported your game :)

2. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Congratulations on the release Paul!

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

We're desperately trying to hack the game down to run on 3G, but the core problem is that 3G is just basically shit. At least in terms of GPU power.

I have one myself so I'm not best pleased either.

4. Henri Karapuu

Henri Karapuu New Member

How many polys you have on screen then? or whats the bottleneck?

5. Applewood

I wish I could give a meaningful answer tbh, we've been trying to find one for ages. It just inferior at 5x slower than 3GS.

EDIT: We've got it up to 10 fps now, which actually feels better than it sounds. If we can get 5 more, we're off to the app store.

There is some crapness with how you specify normals. Floats are too slow, unsigned bytes causes an error. So we just turned lighting off, stopped setting the normals at all and called it a day. :)

#25 Applewood, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. Applewood

I'm new at this. This is a good thing, right ?

[​IMG]

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yep, being featured you'll get maximum exposure AFAIK. On appstores problems start when you're out of the radar...;)

8. Applewood

Yeah I figured it can't be a bad thing, obviously.

Its just that some people say it'll give a small boost in sales and others say it means everything. I guess I should just be thankful/patient and see for myself!

9. Tobias

Indie Author

I think that's because it depends on where you are featured. You can be in New & Noteworthy in a specific category (like Games, or even Games/Action). Or in N&N overall. Huge difference.

10. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

Congrats on the release. I hope you see lots of sales.

Generally betting the entire business on a single iOS title is somewhat risky. Especially in the "niche genre" of strategy. imho work for hire will pay your bread&rent - and your games will be the dessert. (We are 6 titles in now, and are no where near paying for even the development alone). WFH keeps us going.

Anyways - we have lite versions of some of our games. And some are really good sales vehicles for the premium version - others I guess have the negative effect that others mention. I would possibly make 1 free binary alone with IAP. Where you can buy the additional content. Splitting it up in SD and HD will only hurt you too - chart wise.

Guess thats my 2 cents worth

/Thomas

11. Applewood

You're right that it's risky, but the N&N is certainly helping sales. If it keeps up for a while then we might even deem it a financial success. I doubt that would've happened without this speed boost though, at least not in short order.

The SD version of the game isn't actually muddying the water for us after all. Sales of the HD version (which is triple the price of SD after all) are orders of magnitude greater. Possibly because iPad2 is out now and iPhone5 is around the corner.

(Our HD version is actually universal down to 3GS)

Congrats on tactical soldier btw, looks slick.

12. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Many congrats on the release Paul and Team! Also on getting featured. Just noticed you're 29th on iPad charts (overall, not just games). Nice one!

13. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Why don't you try to increase the SD's price to 1.99$
    It takes 5 sec to change it back in case it would decrease your income. But I think the few lost sale will be esaily compensated by the price increase.

JC

14. Applewood

We have v1.2 going in to Apple tomorrow which adds support for 2G and 3G as well, so we might just do that.

If we still don't see an increase in sales of the SD version, and I'm not expecting to now tbh, then we'll switch in future release to shader versions instead and make sure everything looks much better whilst we're at it.

15. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

Cool stuff - I really really press all thumbs here for you to break even.

We got featured in N&N too with Tactical Soldier - but one level further down inside Games (you seem to be on the main page). And I can unfortunately tell you that its not helping a lot. Our race to top-100 has a curve that declines.

So in general it makes one think hard about viability of premium games on the app store if it takes a front page featuring to break even.

/Thomas

16. Applewood

Agreed. We could've eaten for the future with the sales we were getting, but its taken that front page placing to start recouping development costs in a serious way.

We have something at the other end of the scale to go out soon. I developed a 3D whack-a-mole game in the time between submitting our first release to apple and it coming out on sale. Just needs some finishing touches :)

Gonne be free with adverts, see if that does anything. It's a throwaway game aimed at kids so I'm not expecting any serious money from it, but by the same token there's almost nothing to lose to try out the adverts model and I only need to get two weeks wages out of it to make a net win.

17. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

Hehe,

Anyways - onto the topic. I really enjoy your game so great job there. One suggestion from me is that its hard to see what unit still has action points left and which do not.

Otherwise a real little gem there :)

/Thomas

18. Applewood

Thanks. :)

v1.2 has that feature back in. We always did grey the people out but only when they could neither move nor fire. That confused people so we removed it. Latest tweak being to grey them out when they can't shoot as that's the fun bit :)