Great Little War Game - Out Now :)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Applewood, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

2. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Hot Damn!

Congrats Paul and to your team! Can't wait to see what people think of it.

3. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Congrats!!!

Just bought it. Haven't tested it yet :)
    I would have postphone the lite version a bit if I were you.

JC

4. Applewood

Thanks jc.

I never considered that tbh. Do you think it will would've been best to announce a lite version further down the road?

We actually considered not doing them at all. A good review and the price of a coupla bucks should be all the demo people need imo, for this or any game.

5. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I think at least initially it is better to not release the free version. At your price range, it is an impulse buy: the screenshots looks cool, I want this game... You want 100% of these people thinking this to buy your game :)

If you release the demo/lite at the same time, from this group of people (the one wanting your game on impulse), you'll get a big % of them dowloading the demo and you lose the impulse... a lot of them will never bother getting the full version for a million of reasons.

Later you can release a lite version (BTW, this is like a second launch product) and you will attract a different group of people.

Listen, I wanted to buy your game just to support you... but when I saw the lite, I almost downloaded it. But I thought fuck it, I might not like it or just forget to install the full later so changed my mind and bought it instead. Now, if I went through this process (get the lite first) even if I wanted to buy the game anyway, a lot of players will think the same.

BTW, I haven't been able to play it, my son stole my Ipad when he saw me playing with this great little game :) it's good you removed the blood.

JC

6. Applewood

Ah yes, that kinda makes sense now, thanks.

I'm not going to do this retrospectively as it might cause a backlash, but I'll definitely do this for our future titles. Thanks for the tip.

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

I wouldn't wait before putting a lite version, but the reason is my own way of buying stuff there:

Personally i don't buy anything (even $0.99 - actually the price doesn't matter that much) without a demo/lite version to check out first, except some special cases (f.e. i buy almost any game that uses the wolf3d engine and custom assets because i know that the controls work fine with iPod Touch and these games feel like expansion packs somehow :p). There are too many things in there with lite versions so it doesn't require much thought to skip the game. Additionally there is A LOT of crap in there so without being sure that the game/app is and works ok, i'm not buying anything. And no, screenshots say nothing beyond that some artist got paid (or not) :). IMO the Prey game for the iPhone was one of the best looking iOS 3D games for a while, yet the gameplay is absolutely terrible.

8. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Honestly! It took me a while to find the Non-Lite version. I only pushed on because people on here mentioned they had purchased the game. Something wrong with iTunes maybe or just my poor iPad skillz?

Anyway, thanks and please buy yourself a quid's worth of beer on me :)

9. lennard

Congrats on the release Paul.

I also strongly agree with what people are saying about holding back on the lite version. These games are so cheap that lots of folks who see the screenshots and think "I've gotta have that" are unlikely to think, "Man, if I wait a couple of weeks maybe I can save 35 cents and get a lite version first..." - they are just going to buy the full version. Marketing may or may not be as harding as writing shader code but you've still gotta sweat the details.

I would also add that as an indie. (and I recognize that you are playing with more $ than I do) every new, free, marketing event is helpful which is another reason to have held off on a lite version.

10. Applewood

Thanks chaps.

Don't be fooled about the money aspect. We've been passing up our usual WFH stuff and at this point are doubtless more broke than most here. This really is a shit or bust move with foreclosures a real spectre in our personal lives!

11. HairyTroll

Original Member

I just bought a copy as well for my iPhone as well.

12. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

Congratulations, the game looks great! Wish you best of luck, and kudos for taking the risk and creating something bigger, better and more polished.

13. Applewood

Thanks, just hope it works.

To cover the other option, we started a whack-a-mole game on thursday. Should be in for review on, well, thursday! :)

14. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Too bad my brand new iPad 1 come in not working, I could play it or buy it too.

15. Ratboy

Original Member

Just bought a copy for my new iPod - it's a lot of fun so far :cool:

The world needs more turn-based games.

16. Applewood

Great stuff, thanks. Don't forget to tell your friends :)

17. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Congrats on the release! Looks awesome, unfortunately I don't own any i-devices so I can't even purchase it.

If you do a pc version count me in.

I hope it does well for you, and proves that a good game will sell on the i devices for the right reason =)

18. Applewood

We are currently talking to Steam about a PC version.

Admittedly the conversation feels like we're the freshly arrived crew of the first manned mission to neptune, but they've not said no yet.

19. chanon

Indie Author

Congrats and I wish you the best of luck!

BTW I find it strange that you decided to have a separate HD version, in my view getting up the charts is a big priority and separating the sales to two versions kind of reduces the chance for either one to get high. I would rather focus on directing all sales to one version. Another reason is it may cause some confusion to potential buyers. But that's just my 2 cents, don't worry about it if everything's going well.

20. Applewood

Actually sales of the SD version are pretty crap compared to HD.

I'm assuming even those with "lesser" phones are buying the HD version in lieu of another round of phone upgrades being imminent.

#20 Applewood, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011