Great Graphics tool/Texturing

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by svero, Jan 15, 2009.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Bit of a product plug here, but I think this is a really nice app and pretty useful for a lot of game devs so I wanted to mention it. (its not my product actually.. I'm just using it)

I can't quite recall, but I think it was Emmanuel (azada) that first mentioned it to me months ago. I've recently started using the demo for some of my work and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before, but it's a really nice texture solution and pretty useful whether you're doing 3d or 2d work. I know I'm not terribly keen on hitting turbo squid always or trying to buy texture packs etc.. You can't always easily find what you want and having a large library to choose from without having to go looking all the time is pretty handy.

Basically it's a stand-alone app (with a photoshop plugin if you prefer that mac or pc) that generates a large variety of high quality textures using procedural algorithms and a tree system for plugging bits together. So for instance... You could feed 3 noise algorithms into a 3 color gradient and get a 3 noise gradient and then use that to drive some other value and so on. The editing portion is very similar to something like Softimage XSI's material editor if you're familiar with that. Other major 3d apps use similar methods as well. The editor also lets you attach controls to values so you can drive simple elements of the texture from easy slide or other controls without having to re-edit the texture each time. So say you made a space texture. You could drive the color of nebulae from a color sider/picker without having to re-edit.

You can check it out here...
    http://www.filterforge.com

There's a variety of purchase options and some free texture packs as well.

So.. even though the editing lets you generate pretty much anything you can think of, you don't really need to go into that depth to use it. There's a ton of quality textures already made, and available in the online library. Its also possible for the app to output normal and bump maps, but the quality will depend on the texture's author and how they drove the height of the various output elements.

And in case you're skeptical about procedural texture generation quality check a few of these out to see the variety and output...

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/839.html
    http://www.filterforge.com/filters/1388.html
    http://www.filterforge.com/filters/882.html
    http://www.filterforge.com/filters/4761.html

- Steve

2. hippocoder

Indie Author

it is actually pretty great looking...

3. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

That looks very cool - thanks for the link!

4. Reactor

It's good, but pretty much the same thing as MapZone, which is free (give or take a few features).

My latest texturing tool is Imagesynth 2. The UI is horrible (see my review on the Luxology forum) but the core technology behind such programs is pretty fantastic. It makes creating 'photorealistic' textures much easier. Programs like MapZone, FilterForge or Genetica produce computery looking textures, which aren't always ideal.

5. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Or go for texturemaker, which is a far lower cost option that is similar. Only it doesnt do the graph node thing I dont think.

There was another one, genetica or some such?

6. Reactor

Yep, I mentioned Genetica, by Spiral Graphics, above.

Texturemaker is good, but it's a bit outdated now compared to the node-based offerings. (I'm also unsure if it's being developed anymore).