Google moving on in game ads, selling games

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by DFG, Oct 8, 2008.

1. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198770.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2

Google is encroaching on merchant's territory more and more

2. Acord

Acord New Member

They don't seem to have damaged advertising, which they've encroached on, nor browsers, which they've encroached on(I think Chrome is pretty nifty, especially considering the new release of Firefox), and I don't think that they will damage in-game advertising either.

Notice I say the word "seem". Has anyone done any research into the subject?

But one thing I have noticed - when Google gets involved with something, it gives the whole thing a little more weight. Look at how much more credibility it's given to the idea of browser based apps...

3. andrew

andrew New Member

Uh, you need 500K plays PER DAY in order to qualify?

https://services.google.com/events/adsense_games

They show some Flash games in their presentation, but I can't imagine there are that many web games (or even AAA titles) which have sustained numbers like that?

- andrew

4. Acord

Acord New Member

Yeesh. I think that this one is doomed to obscurity if that's the case.

5. ChrisP

Indie Author

It does say current requirements. Perhaps they'll expand it as they flesh out the tech more fully. Google is usually pretty good at harnessing the "long tail".

6. ChiefRedThunder

ChiefRedThunder New Member

I think this just helped to make in game ads more mainstream and the populous won't cry about seeing them before the game because google said so.

So I for one am happier about this announcement.

7. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I assumed they meant web sites that got 500k plays per day not an individual web game with that many plays.

8. JGOware

Indie Author

wow!! So who's site is getting 500k plays a day? How about 500k page views a day?

9. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

If I had to guess I would say
    MSN Games
    Shockwave
    Pogo
    Yahoo Games
    Kongregate
    Addictinggames
    Armorgames
    Miniclip
    Games.com

I don't think anyone every implied this was for Indies. But it sure could impact smaller sites.