Google Ad Words dissapointing results

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by charliedog, Mar 5, 2009.

1. charliedog

charliedog New Member

Sorry I meant AdSense :)

I'm posting this for two reasons:

1) in the hope that somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong

2) In the event that I'm not doing anything wrong as a warning to others as to what a complete waste of time Ad words is :)

I set it up three months ago for my site. It's not a huge amount of work to set up but by the time I'd messed about with it took half a days work.

In the first month I made $4.35
    In the second month I made $3.43

Since then traffic on my site has climbed significantly and I was hoping for a big return last month. Instead I made... wait for it... $2.60

Now I'm not a greedy person but $10.00 income after 3 months ain't going to pay bills or come anywhere close to justifying the effort of setting up the adds.

I'm not angry about this. Far from it I didn't know what to expect and it was quite interesting to experiment with. But it does feel as if one more potential avenue for making a bit of money has closed to me. Which is disappointing.

Two things I have noticed, which surprised me where:

Simple text ads do better for me than big banners. Nobody seems to click on the banners. But at least a few people click on the text ads and because there are more of them they seem to get a higher return

Moving the ads from the from the bottom of the page to the top seems to have actually hurt click through and impressions. I would have thought it would have been the other way round. I mean if the adverts are at the bottom of the page and people have to scroll down to see them then surely they are going to get less clicks than if they are at the top of the page? Yet clicks have definitely gone down when I moved them to the top.

The only thing I can think to do which I haven't done yet is put a bit of text under the header saying something like:

"This site is entirely funded by adverts. Please click on our sponsors to show your support!"

But does that sort of thing really work?

So anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I be expecting a much higher return that this? Is there something easy I can do to up my return? Are there better alternatives?

Tony Oakden

http://www.charliedoggames.com

#1 charliedog, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

do you mean Google Adsense?

3. danhezee

danhezee New Member

that is against the TOS you cant encourage users to click the ads. also how much traffic have u gotten? high traffic equals high payout

4. charliedog

charliedog New Member

Sorry yes I meant Ad-Sense

Hits on my site vary enormously depending on what I'm putting up there. But generally I expect to get between 300 and a 1000 unique visits a day. However I suspect a lot of these are from other sites linking direct to download my games so the person never actually sees the pages. I've started experimenting with a few other things to try ad drive traffic back to my site:

A screen which comes up when players quits the game which promotes my site and the other free games available
    An online High Score table which players can upload their scores to

I guess the next obvious step would be a forum but that seems like it would be a lot of work to maintain. So I'm reluctant to do it unless I'm sure it would get more people onto the site and I had someway to make money out of those visits.

danhezee: Are you making a lot more than I am?

regards,

Tony

5. danhezee

danhezee New Member

Actually, I have only had my site up for a month. And, I am still beta testing it. You can check it out www.dustybrow.com.

But, my traffic is significantly less than yours (1600 for the whole month) and I have made about $3. I also had about 25 clicks for the month.

6. shockbreak

shockbreak New Member

adsense

what i can say is that the statistics work really good.

6000 Siteimpressions per month = ca.6$
    2000000 Siteimpressions per month = ca.2000$

7. DizzyDoo

DizzyDoo New Member

My theory with banner ads:

So many sites have adopted the leaderboard ad (the long ad at the very top of the page) now, that long time web users are now trained or conditioned just to completely ignore the first 120 pixels from the top, just because their eyes skip down to the actual content on the page, and don't hover over the "Beat the monkey to death for iPods" ads.

Adsense is well known to give you next to nothing unless you have thousands of views a day. What I would suggest is to install a bit of dynamic web software for automatically switching between ad systems, then set it up to display ads from ADSDAQ, then if there isn't an ad to display from there, the software will display an ad from Six Apart, and if there isn't an ad from there, finally show a Google Adsense ad. Of course, this means you will have to play about with some web software, and also sign up for the much more profitable ADSDAQ and Six Apart, but it should be worth your while.

A final bit of advice is to look into where you are placing your ads. This image from the Adbrite website should help you into placing the ads where they are most effective:

http://files.adbrite.com/mb/images/pub_zone_placement_ss1.gif

8. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

it all depends on your content.
    Content is still king.
    I bid at four times more for a text ad click on some sites than I do on some others, because they have the right traffic. If your traffic is unemployed people and kids with no money, it's fairly worthless. If your traffic is high flying executives who are reading about what gadgets to buy, your traffic is worth tons.
    There's no magic trick to it, you need to be a place where people who advertisers want tor each gather together. This is very hard, and you are up against millions of people trying to do the same thing.

9. Cray

Cray New Member

Please read the terms & policies you agreed to with Google Adsense as far as text above the link goes. What you can & can't do is all mentioned there.

That heatmap someone posted is a good start - however, if your site is low on images, throw an image ads-only rectangle ad in the middle of the right side. Work fantastic if the ad is good. Also, the bottom of page ads do work better sometimes, because people are left thinking "ok, what now" and click on something else :)

Game sites generally aren't all that good with adsense - it's in the lowest price categories. One of my marketing ones (not internet related) gets $10/click. Targeted credit card, loan, lawyer, health, tourism, and jewelry traffic can do around the same

10. Deva

Deva New Member

To tell the truth, I didn't even see your ads at first, then found them at the top of the page. They just sort of blended in too well, for me at least. Maybe creating a right-hand column for them to be displayed vertically would help?

Second, the ads didn't have anything in common with your site. An ad for "curing dog's itchy skin" and one for "canine behavior training" aren't probably what most gamers are dying to click on. ;)

Third, while Alexa rank isn't a great indicator, yours is above 4 million. I think you'd probably have to be in the 100K range (or so) to get significant clicks. (I only say this from experience, as I have a site with an Alexa rank around 140K that gets from 8,000 to 10,000 unique visitors per day. But I haven't bothered with trying to advertise on it yet. Duh. Maybe I should. :D ) Anyway, that combined with (much) more relevant ads would probably help.

11. jankoM

Indie Author

You didn't post visitor numbers (impressions..) so it's hard to say if you are doing anything wrong or compare to my results.

I think google doesn't allow that you post how much you earned in public (at least not that directly).

12. Spaiz

Original Member

charliedog what is your eCPM?

13. vjvj

Indie Author

I remember there being a few older threads with very good advice on how to get the most out of Adsense... I advise doing a search (seriously, I'm not just being a typical "use the search" jerk).

14. siread

Original Member

I'm getting about 1000 unique visitors a day (+350 active members on the forum) and make around $8 per month. Hardly worth it, but hopefully visitors will increase with new games this year.

15. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I have some 10k+ uniques a month, and I estimated I can just about cover the hosting costs with the ad revenue.