Good music to code by..

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Indiepath, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ZeHa

Original Member

That's the best comment I've read about that topic so far :D
    You should put that into your signature ;)

2. Diragor

Original Member

I also listen to instrumental music while working. My current favorite is the new Nine Inch Nails thing. (Seems funny to call it an "album", the way it was released.) I was happy to support it as an independent release and a really good deal, and it turns out to be perfect coding music (for me). Other favorites of mine are Danny Elfman's Big Fish soundtrack, the Fantomas albums, and Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante.

3. ninesquirrels

Original Member

I've been into the instrumental stuff lately while I work:
    Hammock. God is an Astronaut. Tristeza. Tortoise. Epic45. Do Make Say Think.
    I listen to a *lot* of Saxon Shore.
    Words distract me.
    Silence creeps me out.
    It's a good compromise.

4. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

When I was younger I would listen to my high school music, especially when it came time to finish projects - load up on junk food and listen to Rush, The Police, Led Zep, all that stuff. As I get older I find that I don't like to listen to much when I am programming new stuff or anything that requires all of my attention. When I'm doing design or crunching away on lists of UI stuff then music can sometimes help me get more stuck in.

5. lobotony

lobotony New Member

I can't listen to anything when I'm really stressed out about difficult design decisions, but I usually enjoy to listen to music while coding. It's either electronic stuff without lyrics that doesn't get in the way, mostly Amon Tobin and Pendulum during the last few weeks, or pretty mean Metal stuff (got hooked on Black Dahlia Murder again) when I need a kick.
    The funny thing is: I developed this routine with my partner where we meet up and discuss our next steps, and when the coding gets concentrated we throw in "Cannibal" by Static-X and it usually plays in a loop for 4-6 hours. I think this particular album has developed into our own personal coding mantra :) Maybe that's also the reason why we've been only talking about Zombie games recently. Hmmm .... makes me wonder what I'd need to listen to to get into the mood for coding something like "Hello Kitty Island Adventure" ...

6. bignobody

Indie Author

Good call.

7. oldschool

Original Member

Cujo (Amon Tobin) - Adventures in Foam!

right now on my playlist:
    V.A.S.T.
    Tool
    NIN
    Beat Konducta in India
    Shiva in exile
    Vivaldi
    Pietro Locatelli

In college I did my homework with Bugs and Daffy on tv no sound.

While working hard no music.